Metformin increase

type2mother

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I’ve just had my metformin increased from 500mg a day to 2000mg. Since making this change, I am suffering from severe diarrhea. I’m needing to go about once an hour at the moment. Does this get better or should I ask my doctor to decrease my dose?

Thank you!

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77 and jjraak

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s a known side effect that many suffer I’m afraid, some find it settles down and for some it continues to cause problems I’m one of the lucky ones who never had a problem. ,

Maybe speak to your GP to see if you can up the dose in stages over a couple of weeks, if you continue to have problems you could ask your GP for slow release, I believe this is gentler on the system and causes less problems

• Agree
Reactions: jjraak

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on Metformin for some years. I’m surprised you’ve jumped from 500mg straight to 2000mg in one go. When I started it I was advised to increase it by 500mg/week until the required dose was reached.

Edit to add, sorry just noticed this your first post, welcome to the forum :)

mouseee

My stomach settled after a month or so and stayed that way for about 3 years. Then my guts decided they didn't like metformin. I'm just about to pick up slow release metformin to see how that goes. It's supposed to be gentler on them.
Worth asking your GP if it carries on and is making life difficult.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good evening @type2mother and welcome to the forum.

I'm a metformin user. It's usual to increase this medication in increments of 500 mg, should an increased dose prove necessary, until your blood glucose is controlled.

Diarrhoea is a well known side effect of the higher doses, particularly following carbohydrate-heavy meals, so I'd aim to avoid pasta, rice, potatoes, breakfast cereals and fruit and have plenty of water and water-based beverages like tea and coffee to drink. If the diarrhoea persists, I'd seek a medical view.

• Agree
Reactions: Rachox

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had terrible trouble on Metformin with Atorvastatin - after I stopped taking the tablets I found I never needed them - but if was ever slightly tempted to buy something a bit higher in carbs I just thought 'metformin' and the urge to buy evaporated.
Having already changed to low carb foods I could not avoid carbs any more than I was already doing.
Just because some people can cope with the tablets is no excuse not to mention that explosive faecal incontinence might result.
Digestive upset doesn't come close.

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier