Metformin making me throw up

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Recently for some reason metformin I can't keep metformin down after I take it and it's starting to make me feel ill. The gp is not helping at all. He said that I should stop taking it for a few days, carry on with my insulin and then make an appointment next week. I'm still having problems with my sugars being high in the morning and then dropping down really low in the evening.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Your doc should be adjusting the dosage for you firstly and then perhaps trialling you on the extended release version. It could be that you don't tolerate metformin at all too. I was one of those people that couldn't tolerate metformin even though I was on it for 5 years. I was quite sick on it with a lot of nausea and diarrhoea. When I was given the extended release version well that just made me constantly nauseated instead of in waves on the normal version. See how you go. If you can't tolerate it your doc should be considering other med types to help you. It might be that you would fair better on a bolus and basal insulin regime instead. I wish you the best. :)