Metformin Manufactures

Cosy

Has anyone found a difference between side effects of Metformin when it is a different manufactures. For a long time mine have been made by Almus and I have always had 'the runs'........a few months ago I went to a different chemist and I noticed it was a different box but did not think much about it, over the next couple of months I did notice my bowel habits had calmed down. Now I have gone back to Boots and again it is Almus manufacturer and my problems have started again. Could it just be coincidence or does anyone think it could be the change in manufacturer. I did read somewhere that sometimes even the coating on tablets can make a differenct. I am not due my repeat prescription for a while yet but if I thought it could be this I would ask my doctor to give me early and try another chemist.

Thanks for any advice.

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My doctor has just had to take me off Metformin MR after several years because I've been experiencing very frequent recurrences of the bowel problems I had with the ordinary Met which prompted the change to slow release. I was on Glucophage SR for about three years, with only occasional problems, but after moving house a year ago have been supplied with Bolamyn SR, made by TEVA UK.
I'm now wondering whether my problems with this are diwn to the brand change; doctor has not yet decided on appropriate medication in the absence of Metformin (I'm still on Gliclazide..... I'm hoping for weekly jabs of Byetta, but don't know if our surgery will be willing to foot the bill.