Metformin Modified Release...

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So after a bit of burnout and the nature of an itinerant job, my bloods went back and my GP wants me to go up to three Metformin but the issues I had with the normal ones meant I was put on 2 modified release a day, and now going up to three modified release is resulting in a few tummy troubles. At the moment it is not as severe as the old ones... but troublesome enough!

Anyone else had this with the slow release versions?

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude & condescending people. I will call you out on it.
So after a bit of burnout and the nature of an itinerant job, my bloods went back and my GP wants me to go up to three Metformin but the issues I had with the normal ones meant I was put on 2 modified release a day, and now going up to three modified release is resulting in a few tummy troubles. At the moment it is not as severe as the old ones... but troublesome enough!

I am on 4 SR Metformin a day. Trust me it does get better.

My only advice is to never take metformin on an empty stomach and "bury" it in food. By that I mean eat half your meal, take tablet, finish meal.

I never have any issues now with Metformin and I am in the maximum dose.

You will be ok. It does get better.

Reactions: Sani Thomas

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Yes I was definitely worse with the modified release ones. The nurse at the surgery wouldn’t believe me either! I was so mad at her I actually stopped taking them. I did phone the DSN and confirmed that this was ok.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys.
It was a bitter pill (HA!) to swallow but as I am do not hav the luxury of changing my career for a third time, I have to accept that while I am away for tournaments, I have no option but to be on tablets. It is annoying but can't be helped.

I do take it with food, when I am home. I often forget when I am on the road, which has not helped with the numbers.

All a big learning curve!

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I struggled with SR for a good while, now my body seems to be broadly accepting. But it took a while (couple of months, maybe?).

I do still occasionally get stomach issues but nowhere near as much as before, when it had basically become my life!