Metformin- newly diagnosed

salamander

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I was diagnosed with type 2 (although they're not positive on that) after a hba1c of 11% and a blood glucose level of 23 (not fasting) a week ago. My blood levels usually range between 10-14 fasting and 15-20 after meals.

I was told to take one dose of 500mg of metformin a day for a week and then up this to two doses. I'm due to up the dose tomorrow but I've been suffering with stomach upset from the one dose so I'm unsure whether I should start taking two. After several close calls it makes me nervous to leave the house unless I know where the bathrooms are :oops:

The thing is I am a university student who will be going home for the summer tomorrow so I won't be able to see my doctor here about it and probably won't be able to see one back home for at least a week as I'll need to temporarily register with them so any advice would be great.

Also, when will the symptoms die down??? They are so uncomfortable :(

Thanks,

Sally

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sally

I was told the same, 1 x 500mg metformin for 7 days then 2 a day. I rang my doc on the day I was suppose to take 2 and told him I was low carbing (an trips to the loo) have him all my reading which had come down dramatically in a week as I was being very good an he told me I do not have to take the other one of I don't want to and if I feel happy about how I am doing so I am still taking 1. Unfortunately the loo trips still remain, they get better but every now and then have a few nasty days, but it gets better :D

When I saw my DN she told me to take 2, but I have ignored her as the reason she gave me was so i can eat more carbs, so I did not take her advice and am quite happy with 1 pill and low carbing, (she thinks I am still taking 2) I have also lost 1 stone in 22 days.

I canno comment if you shoul not take 2 as my situation and BG levels have been good. So it depends on your levels and how you feel.

salamander

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not really sure about my blood sugars to be honest. They've been pretty consistent apart from yesterday and today which have been lower. Although I didn't eat much yesterday and anything I've eaten today has instantly been removed from my body so that could explain that :? . I might try the two tomorrow and see how it goes before deciding. Bit nervous about the car journey home though :lol:

Feeling a bit abandoned without access to a doctors at the minute. I'm only 20 so this came as quite a shock despite the fact I'm overweight.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You've only just been diagnosed, so think about the amount of time you didn't have the metformin. You have two choices - stop taking them for the journey home or take immodium.

Make sure that you register with the new doc as soon as you get home and get a second opinion on this as 20 seems to be very young to be a Type 2 unless your BMI is really high.

salamander

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Denise :)

I might wait until I get home to take the met and start with the double dose on sunday instead.

My BMI is around 34 so it is high definitely. The nurse I saw, who consulted with a diabetic nurse, said from my numbers they think it's type 2 but they aren't definite on it. I met someone else online who had a similar experience to me who was diagnosed as type 2 at first but after a year found out she actually was type 1 so I'll definitely be asking about that.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If it doesn't settle down within a week or so then do ask your GP for the slow release (SR) version of Metformin. It should make a big difference to your stomach problems. GPs don't offer it early on because it costs more!

salamander

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, I'll ask about the slow release :)

Blood sugar has been below 8 all day today despite the fact I've had some cake so very happy :D

tracbatn

Hi, I have been confirmed with type 2 for 2 weeks and saw the diabetic nurse last Friday evening, I was put on Metformin 500mg x 1 tab in the morning then after 2 week increase to 2 per day. I am 3 days in and feel dreadful, stomach craps, feeling really sick and nearly black diarrhoea, is this normal? How soon will this pass?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You need to insist on being prescribed the Slow Release SR version of Metformin which is kinder on the stomach.

tracbatn

Thank you, I managed to get hold of my diabetic nurse today and she advised to stop taking them till I see her next week. I feel so rough, thought medication was to make you feel better?

Pink&Perky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold, wet and windy weather, feeling grubby, TV shows that are sickly and over-emotional, reality shows of any kind
Hi, I was interested in your feedback and symptoms on metformin, because I think I'm going to be put on them soon. I'm dreading it, because everyone seems to get sick and that's the one thing I really really hate - feeling nauseous and being sick. It's almost a phobia with me. I don't think my blood sugar is all that high - but if I have to take the tablets, what is the best way to avoid the sickness? Should I insist on the SR ones straight away?

tracbatn

Hi there, Metformin really didn't agree with me at all, Metformin SR wasn't offered to me as I had such a bad reaction, I am on a once a day injection called Victoza, that seems to be better for me has along with a health diet my glucose levels are well down and I have so much more energy. Talk to your nurse but usually the first drug of their choice is Metformin.

Good luck and fingers crossed the medication they put you on suits you as we are all different

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pink&Perky said:
Hi, I was interested in your feedback and symptoms on metformin, because I think I'm going to be put on them soon. I'm dreading it, because everyone seems to get sick and that's the one thing I really really hate - feeling nauseous and being sick. It's almost a phobia with me. I don't think my blood sugar is all that high - but if I have to take the tablets, what is the best way to avoid the sickness? Should I insist on the SR ones straight away?

Its been 4 months since taking 1 x 500mg Metformin. I dont really have issues now, my body has got used to it, every now and then I get a semi urgent trip to the loo feeling, but pretty much ok now.