PrincessDolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you take Metformin on an empty stomach

I have recently begun taking Metformin 4 x 500 a day
I would prefer to loose weight by fasting and only eating one meal a day
Can I either take Metformin on an empty stomach or take 4 with evening meal?

Sheepish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Needles!
Eating, especially going to restaurants.
Can you take Metformin on an empty stomach

I have recently begun taking Metformin 4 x 500 a day
I would prefer to loose weight by fasting and only eating one meal a day

Sheepish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Needles!
Eating, especially going to restaurants.
Hello, I guess your doctor thinks you need Metformin (or just reaches for the prescription pad as you walk in). I find taking it on an empty stomach gives me stomach cramps but a friend just takes his morning and evening with no ill effects.
Not sure that eating once a day is a good idea. If I miss a meal my BG levels shoot up. I guess my liver thinks I’m starving and releases more glucose. I lost 16kg in 3 months just by cutting portions and following the advice I was given.
Have you got a diabetes nurse you could discuss this with?

Reactions: PrincessDolly

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find taking metformin without eating first gives me quite intense nausea. This has meant adding in an evening meal now I'm on 3 tablets a day (I didn't normally eat an evening meal before due to Vinaya guidelines).

PrincessDolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, I guess your doctor thinks you need Metformin (or just reaches for the prescription pad as you walk in). I find taking it on an empty stomach gives me stomach cramps but a friend just takes his morning and evening with no ill effects.
Not sure that eating once a day is a good idea. If I miss a meal my BG levels shoot up. I guess my liver thinks I’m starving and releases more glucose. I lost 16kg in 3 months just by cutting portions and following the advice I was given.
Have you got a diabetes nurse you could discuss this with?

PrincessDolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. I previously controlled by type 2 by fasting and weight loss without drugs - but has got out seriously of control recently (post covid and weight gain) so I was hoping to return to the low carb regime and fasting regime again - but now I am on Metformin as sugars so high - and just want to know if I can take morning dose on empty stomach. Not eating in morning suits me as I’m just not hungry till midday. Strange I know!

PrincessDolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find taking metformin without eating first gives me quite intense nausea. This has meant adding in an evening meal now I'm on 3 tablets a day (I didn't normally eat an evening meal before due to Vinaya guidelines).
Thanks I am going to try it without breakfast this morning to see if I can tolerate it.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I usually take mine without food and have no problems, just try it to find out if it suits you. as for fasting not a problem provided you are eating sufficient for your system, it is thought the fasting reduces insulin resistance.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I take both my doses morning and evening without food and I have no problems with it.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was taking Metformin, it states on the packet "take with food", so if I did not eat I did not take a Metformin tablet.

As for taking four tablets at one hit with food, you will have to ask your GP if it is safe to do.