1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Metformin on empty stomach

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by PrincessDolly, May 31, 2022.

1. PrincessDolly

PrincessDolly Type 2 · Newbie

Can you take Metformin on an empty stomach

I have recently begun taking Metformin 4 x 500 a day
    I would prefer to loose weight by fasting and only eating one meal a day
    Can I either take Metformin on an empty stomach or take 4 with evening meal?

2. Sheepish

Sheepish Type 2 · Member

3. Sheepish

Sheepish Type 2 · Member

Hello, I guess your doctor thinks you need Metformin (or just reaches for the prescription pad as you walk in). I find taking it on an empty stomach gives me stomach cramps but a friend just takes his morning and evening with no ill effects.
    Not sure that eating once a day is a good idea. If I miss a meal my BG levels shoot up. I guess my liver thinks I’m starving and releases more glucose. I lost 16kg in 3 months just by cutting portions and following the advice I was given.
    Have you got a diabetes nurse you could discuss this with?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lobsang Tsultim

Lobsang Tsultim Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I find taking metformin without eating first gives me quite intense nausea. This has meant adding in an evening meal now I'm on 3 tablets a day (I didn't normally eat an evening meal before due to Vinaya guidelines).

• Like Like x 1
  5. PrincessDolly

6. PrincessDolly

Thanks. I previously controlled by type 2 by fasting and weight loss without drugs - but has got out seriously of control recently (post covid and weight gain) so I was hoping to return to the low carb regime and fasting regime again - but now I am on Metformin as sugars so high - and just want to know if I can take morning dose on empty stomach. Not eating in morning suits me as I’m just not hungry till midday. Strange I know!

7. PrincessDolly

Thanks I am going to try it without breakfast this morning to see if I can tolerate it.

8. ajbod

ajbod · Well-Known Member

I usually take mine without food and have no problems, just try it to find out if it suits you. as for fasting not a problem provided you are eating sufficient for your system, it is thought the fasting reduces insulin resistance.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sarah69

Sarah69 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I take both my doses morning and evening without food and I have no problems with it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When I was taking Metformin, it states on the packet "take with food", so if I did not eat I did not take a Metformin tablet.

As for taking four tablets at one hit with food, you will have to ask your GP if it is safe to do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook