Metformin Problems

josie38

Hi,

I am a T1 on a pump and in April a dr decided that I needed to take Metformin as well. When i taking one a 500mg a day i was fine, had no problems. As soon as i started taking two a day I was so ill I had to stop taking them. They made me sick with diarrohea and my sugar levels went all over the place. My DSN decided i needed to take a slow release Metformin, 500mg starting on one a day. Everything fine til i started taking two a day and now i have the same problem as before. Could someone please help me and possible tell me if they have had similar problems???????

Really have had enough of it now.

Josie

SouthernGeneral6512

I started taking them a few weeks ago and I've been ill since then ... very sleepy and lightheaded after walking. I was along seeing my doctor today and she said perhaps I shouldn't have started taking 2 per day but instead eased in at 1 but basically I am ill so probably shouldn't expect too much from my health :? . I had a heart attack at the end of April and this is getting the blame but in the few weeks between that and stating metformin I felt much better than this so I'm not buying that.

There seems to be a lot of peopel on here having problems with metformin

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi josie.
When they tried metformin with me in ANY formula or dosage, I took one and within 3hours was feeling dreadful
then would be violently sick through the day n night ...
Tried tablet form, glucaphage, slow release and even soluble mixed in water form [was told it would be gentler
on my stomach] it wasnt !!!! Plus my sugar levels went more erratic too!!!!
Looking back I wasted 6-7 months of time - trying this **** meds that just made me so ill .... :sick:
So to hear it makes you the similar isnt exactly a suprise.
Some people CAN tolerate this , others like me simply CANNOT ...
Yet little piggy insulin is GREAT with me ! oink oink am in a daft mood!!! :p
Hope this helps?
Anna.