Type 2 Metformin Question

klogs17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. Question about reducing Metformin. I am only 2 months into my T2 diagnosis. Having been prescribed 2000mg of Metformin (gradual increase over 3 weeks), I have already gone back down to 1500mg by choice due to the stomach issues. My BG levels haven’t increased by doing so and was going to further lower it to 1000mg. Is it bad to just reduce it?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Question about reducing Metformin. I am only 2 months into my T2 diagnosis. Having been prescribed 2000mg of Metformin (gradual increase over 3 weeks), I have already gone back down to 1500mg by choice due to the stomach issues. My BG levels haven’t increased by doing so and was going to further lower it to 1000mg. Is it bad to just reduce it?
If your blood sugar control is good without it, I don't see why not... But it's up to you, we can't give advice one way or the other. (But you could just "forget" to take them...) What are your blood sugars doing at the mo'?

Reactions: klogs17

klogs17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If your blood sugar control is good without it, I don't see why not... But it's up to you, we can't give advice one way or the other. (But you could just "forget" to take them...) What are your blood sugars doing at the mo'?

I sort have “forgotten” on a few occasions now and there’s no change. I’m in the late 4s & 5s (very occasional 6 after food as I’m still LCHF experimenting).

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sort have “forgotten” on a few occasions now and there’s no change. I’m in the late 4s & 5s (very occasional 6 after food as I’m still LCHF experimenting).
The diet's usually got a bigger impact than the met does. Like I said, it's quite up to you, but I don't expect any huge rises to show up. ;)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You should choose what goes into your body.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I tried for quite a few months to get used to Metformin. I was advised on here to go back to the Dr and ask for the slow release version which is supposed to be kinder on the stomach. That made no difference so I reduce the dosage as you are doing. If it had worked I'm sure I would still be taking it now because I'll take any help I can get, and I have read that taking Metformin has other benefits as well as helping with insulin resistance/ liver dumps. Unfortunately the unpleasant side effects continued so I gave up and binned the lot.
"Did anything bad happen"-- well within a few days the stomach cramps, bloating and frantic sprints to the toilet went away and I got my life back. My fasting levels did seem a little elevated for a while but I considered that a small price to pay.

Reactions: klogs17 and Mike d

klogs17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried for quite a few months to get used to Metformin. I was advised on here to go back to the Dr and ask for the slow release version which is supposed to be kinder on the stomach. That made no difference so I reduce the dosage as you are doing. If it had worked I'm sure I would still be taking it now because I'll take any help I can get, and I have read that taking Metformin has other benefits as well as helping with insulin resistance/ liver dumps. Unfortunately the unpleasant side effects continued so I gave up and binned the lot.
"Did anything bad happen"-- well within a few days the stomach cramps, bloating and frantic sprints to the toilet went away and I got my life back. My fasting levels did seem a little elevated for a while but I considered that a small price to pay.

Same symptoms I’m having with it. Not really the way I wanted to lose weight. I’m in for my second HbA1C in a month so might stick with half the dose until then (if I can cope). Thank you

Reactions: catinahat