1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Metformin questions!

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Evasmom, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Evasmom

Evasmom Type 2 · Member

Hi all, this is my first post!!!! :)
    Just wondering if anyone has experience of hair falling out on Metformin?? I used to take 500mg 3 times a day, but after christmas my blood tests were awful and Dr doubled that but even on the lower dosage my hair fell out and thinned.
    Also I find that metformin makes me crave **** food and my stomach turns at the thought of most dinners. I don't have indigestion, or bloating or the runs or anything, just a feeling of Bleugh when it comes to my dinner!! But give me a take away or some chocolate and I'd be inhaling it... :meh:

2. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Sorry @Evasmom

Doubled? Lower dosage? How much are you taking?

3. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. Metformin does lower your appetite and for some (e.g. me) it can cause a strange metallic taste which lasted 6 months for me. You do get used to it and the correct taste returns. Never heard of hair falling out?

4. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have got a bit of appetite loss since taking Metformin for about 2 months but I haven't noticed my hair falling out though

5. Evasmom

Evasmom Type 2 · Member

1000mg 3 times a day.

6. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

What are your bloods? That's a fair whack of metformin so we need those readings

7. linda10

linda10 Type 2 · Newbie

I take 4 x 500gm metformin a day seem to be thinning my hair but not falling out however have been told this can be a side effect with metformin. Check the leaflet in your pack or talk to your pharmacist

8. Del 80

Del 80 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am now on 3x500 mg a day......been on that dosage four days now, a bit soon to tell, but as of yet no side effects.

9. Evasmom

Evasmom Type 2 · Member

Hi mike
    I was on 500x3 but my bloods after Xmas had gone awol. I'm not sure of the gp readings but she doubled my dose until they came down. I've to go back this month for repeat bloods.
    I started measuring myself and the last couple of weeks my fasting bg has been around 8.5 most days. I really need to lose weight to get this under control.

The readings before and after meals are in range. It's the before bed and fasting ones that aren't

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jayne1957

Jayne1957 Type 2 · Newbie

Hi, this is my first post. I have struggled with hair loss since I started metformin a year ago. I am on 1000mg of SR Metformin a day and generally BS well controlled. Are there any good alternative medications? An help gratefully received.

• Hug Hug x 2
  11. joe-90

joe-90 · Well-Known Member

Metformin is a funny old drug. It seems to effect everyone differently. My experience of it (been about 11 weeks 2 x 500mg). On the first day I lost all interest in anything sweet, and the biscuits went in the bin - not had one since. No cake or pastry, just not interested. Then I went off red meat, and then chicken and finally fish. Just the thought of eating meat or fish makes my stomach turn over. I'd like to get get back eating a little meat again, but out of the question at the moment. I've still got my hair though.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Sutherlandlass

Sutherlandlass Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have been on metformin sr 1x500mg daily for about a month and a half, my gp was happy to put me straight on the sr with me having fibromyalgia, which makes me pretty sensitive to all medications: / however, I don't seem to have noticed much in the way of side effects apart from a bit if an upset tum each day, which to be honest, is part of the fibromyalgia symptoms anyway. It really has helped knock my appetite back :) and I feel like my fatty liver is getting better, albeit slow but sure.

13. tpaz

tpaz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Has anyone noticed dry mouth with Metformin?

I know we usually relate a dry mouth with high blood sugars, but usually I'll have a dry mouth and think 'my BG must be high', I will test and be totally fine.

I've noticed the dry mouth started about a month after I started the medication and is usually around bedtime.

14. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

I stopped taking that stuff ages ago, but a REALLY common theme was a metallic taste as well. Benefits (at least for me) non existent. Like statins. My body hates drugs. Suspect my mind controls that to a large degree as I am one stubborn cuss

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook