Metformin & Side effects

Dimi23

Hello!
My name is Dimitra and I'm 23. I have metabolic syndrome but my blood sugar levels haven't been affected yet. I do have insulin resistance and for that I started taking metformin on the 27th of July. The plan is to increase the dosage weekly, until it reaches 1700mg/per day. I just wanted to ask if the side effects go away because at the moment I'm experiencing severe acid reflux 24/7. My doctor suggested that we try antacids for a week and if this doesn't work I 'll have to go back to 500mg/per day.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My doctor suggested that we try antacids for a week and if this doesn't work I 'll have to go back to 500mg/per day.

Have you tried the slow/extended release version of metformin? That can be more tolerable for many people, but only tends to get prescribed for people who cannot cope with the standard version.

welshrunner

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have been on 500g Metformin for 11 days. I take with food in the morning. Suffering badly with nausea and vomiting every day and feel generally very weird. Should I carry on or go back to my doctor. Last blood sugar test was 51. I can't keep any food down.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on 500g Metformin for 11 days. I take with food in the morning. Suffering badly with nausea and vomiting every day and feel generally very weird. Should I carry on or go back to my doctor. Last blood sugar test was 51. I can't keep any food down.
It’s not really for us to advise but personally if I wasn’t feeling right and the only difference is new drugs then I would go to my doctor

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I’m sorry to hear you’re feeling so awful- if I was you, I would go speak to the GP!