1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Metformin SR and Nausea ... How Long?

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by GraceK, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

I had only started taking the metformin mainly because it is meant to have other benefits, plus my fasting BG has always been higher than I'd prefer to be. But when the bleeding gastritis was diagnosed by endoscopy, I stopped taking it. My BG is generally in control thanks to diet and exercise, so I continue to stay diabetes meds free - which is the way I prefer it. I'm on a quest to stay that way for as long as humanly possible because the side effects for most diabetes drugs far outweigh the benefits as far as I can tell. I also had my digestion screwed by long term PPI use, so the less drugs I have to take, the happier I am.

How long were you on metformin before these deficiencies were picked up?

I'd strongly suggest you try a gluten free diet. According to Dr Alessio Fasano, one of the world's foremost experts on coeliac disease, no human can digest gluten and every time we eat it, it causes a degree of intestinal permeability. So, if you have compromised digestion, you are continually assaulting your gut and never healing by continuing to eat the stuff. The fact that you are allergic to so many foods is a huge red flag that you have intestinal permeability.

2. Topaz9

Topaz9 Type 2 · Member

It's so strange during this conversation I decided to try not to take Metformin and try and eat some animal products but in my case with allergy tablets and aspirin and see what happens. I hope it works but it means testing my blood sugar level

3. Mike D

Mike D Type 2 · Expert

That's not a choice .... it's part of your (and my) life. Look at it like this. The greater the success with the figures, the more driven you become

4. Topaz9

Topaz9 Type 2 · Member

Not exactly sure what you mean but I've decided FASTING!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

BG testing is definitely the best way to find out how different foods affect your levels. This bloke explains it better than I ever could:

What were the results of your last A1c?

6. Mike D

Mike D Type 2 · Expert

As @Indy51 has pointed out, fasting is meaningless unless you know your figures as a start out point.

7. Topaz9

Topaz9 Type 2 · Member

I'm going to fast until my blood sugar level goes down then start testing different foods. This morning I checked my sugar level it was 7.3 then I had a cup tea and checked it again after 2 hours and it had gone up to 8.0 I don't take sugar it's sweeteners. This told me something. This is going to be my procedure. I'm watching the video

8. Heathenlass

Heathenlass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There are two wild cards in your scenario above :
    1) Meter accuracy . It's not an exact measurement, and there can be variations between a reading taken within minutes from different fingers. A rise from 7.3 to 8.0 is not indicative of a spike from anything you have eaten or drunk.

2) Have you heard of the Dawn Phenomenon ? This is a rise in blood glucose due to the liver releasing glucose as preparation for the day to come. So morning fasting levels cn be high independantly of anything you eat or drink. I don't think this is the case in your readings today though, as the rise is so very small.

Signy

9. Mike D

Mike D Type 2 · Expert

Tread your own path. Bye.

10. Topaz9

Topaz9 Type 2 · Member

I think the unthinkable might have happened. I didn't take Metformin this morning. At lunch time I had a sausage, rasher of bacon, a fried egg and waited to see what happens, I have had no adverse reaction, no pain but it's still very early stages.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook