Metformin SR and Nausea ... How Long?

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I was diagnosed 8 August and put on Metformin SR 1000mg a day which I take with my main meal usually around 4pm. I had no problems with it at all apart from the very rare wave of nausea which just came and went and then after a week or so I didn't get any nausea at all. Went to see my GP a month later and she double the dosage to 2000mg a day but now I'm getting nausea and the thought of food just makes me want to throw up. It got so bad yesterday that I was scared to go shopping in case I was sick and I just didn't feel like eating at all.

Can anyone tell me if they've experienced similar nausea when dosage was increased and if so, how long did it last? Is it something that has to be put up with or does the effect wear off once the body gets used to the meds? I'm having surgery tomorrow so I've gone back to just the one tablet today because I can't risk throwing up tomorrow in case they cancel the surgery.

Reactions: ASmisseZep

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on Metformin SR. A couple of questions:

did your doctor tell you to start increasing the dose over a week or so? eg. add 500g once a day for 3 or 4 days, then add the other 500g afterwards?

did your doctor tell you why they were increasing the dose?

when are you taking them and how much at one time?

sometimes when you increase a dose suddenly by a large amount it can cause nausea, even with the SR.

(i am not a medically qualified person, just someone who can relate)

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
lucylocket61 said:
I am on Metformin SR. A couple of questions:

did your doctor tell you to start increasing the dose over a week or so? eg. add 500g once a day for 3 or 4 days, then add the other 500g afterwards?

did your doctor tell you why they were increasing the dose?

when are you taking them and how much at one time?

sometimes when you increase a dose suddenly by a large amount it can cause nausea, even with the SR.

(i am not a medically qualified person, just someone who can relate)

Ahhhh! Thanks Lucy ... that might explain it. Firstly I was on Metformin 500mg x 1 a day increasing to 3 a day over 3 weeks. That was the non-slow release type.

Then I was put on Metformin SR 1000mg just once a day and when the doctor increased the dose she didn't tell me to add it gradually she just said to take it at the same time that I take the 1st 1000mg. So as they're slow release tablets I just started taking 2000mg a day without phasing the additional dose in gradually. Thanks for your help with that. :)

fol97d23

Hi

Not sure if this is the correct forum but i have just been told i have type 2 and have been given metforin 500mg twice a day. Using the test srips my sugar levels started at 14.9 and after two weeks they are still around 12.6 when self testing.

My question is how long after being on medication does it take before the levels drop signifacantly as it worries me they are still this high. I may be worrying over nothing but would like some guidance as i dont want to trouble doctors if its nothing.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Dear Grace,

Problem is that I believe you have not been introduced to Metformin properly. One normally starts off daily with 2 x 500mg - one say with breakfast and the other with your evening meal. Some doctors start their patients with one tab per day for the first week I should add. The main side effects are usually metallic taste and an upset stomach. 99% patients' bodies adjust to them - believe me it is worth trying hard. I was ok with this regimen for 8 years but did suffer strange burning in the legs when my dose was increased by 1 x 500mg at lunchtime but am still experimenting in case it was Lasix (water tab) causing this. I will keep my eye on your post.

Good luck,

Rob

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
BaliRob said:
Dear Grace,

Problem is that I believe you have not been introduced to Metformin properly. One normally starts off daily with 2 x 500mg - one say with breakfast and the other with your evening meal. Some doctors start their patients with one tab per day for the first week I should add. The main side effects are usually metallic taste and an upset stomach. 99% patients' bodies adjust to them - believe me it is worth trying hard. I was ok with this regimen for 8 years but did suffer strange burning in the legs when my dose was increased by 1 x 500mg at lunchtime but am still experimenting in case it was Lasix (water tab) causing this. I will keep my eye on your post.

Good luck,

Rob

Thanks BaliRob but no, my GP did start me off very slowly - I was started on Metformin 500mg a day for the first week, increased to 2 x 500mg the second week and then to 3 x 500mg the third week. That presented no problems. At the fourth week I then saw the DN who changed the meds to Metformin Slow Release 1000mg which is a once a day tablet which I took with my main meal late afternoon. Again no problems on that dosage except for the odd wave of nausea now and then which quickly settled. A week or so later I had to see my GP who then increased the dose to 2000mg a day and told me to take both tablets at the same time with my evening meal. That's when the real nausea kicked in and after a few days I found it intolerable so I've gone back to just the one a day 1000mg. I'd have persevered had I not had to go in for surgery today but I just thought cutting back seemed the most sensible thing to do.

I am being good with my diet and my morning fasting BG is down to 6.4 today and it seems to be dropping steadily as long as I don't eat chocolate the day before so I'm happy with the dosage I'm on to be honest. :)

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Dear Grace,

The doctor knew something that you did not at commencement of treatment - perhaps your BG's were
extremely high, etc. ? You are aware 2000mg is the maximum - glad you are happy with the dosage.
Never experienced nausea myself thank goodness - let's hope you progress well.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I never suffered any nausea at 2000mg and went up in two steps from 0 to 1000 to 2000mg, but had the metallic taste for 6 months; you do get used to it. Metformin does reduce the appetite as well, so I think if you stick with it things will settle.

Hi, fol97fs. The sugar reduction you are seeing is about what you might expect with Metformin as it doesn't have a great effect on blood sugar. Yes, anything over 10 is too high. If your figures don't go down below 10'ish over the next few weeks and preferably a bit lower then you need to speak to the doc about extra meds. I assume you are having a suitable diet now? This means low'ish carbs and low-GI where possible. Avoid any NHS mantra about eating plenty of starchy carbs as that will make your T2 worse. Keep to proteins and fats, unsaturated where possible, with sensible portion sizes. BTW if you are under 30 years, say, and not overweight then do come back and let us know.

fol97d23

Hi

Eating sensibly now ( i think) and do an hours swimming and sauna of a night. Lost a stone in 4 weeks but bloods are still anything between 8.6 and 12.2. 40 years old and now weigh 15.5 stone and still trying to lose the weight.

Keep hearing different stories about eating fruit and dont know if i should or not. I eat a lot of vegetables and potatoes and dont have an apointment with the dietician for another 3 weeks.

Is there anything i should or shouldnt be eating that may help to lower sugar levels?

Any advice would be appreciated as im starting to get confused as everything i look at contains sugar.

smarty

Hi - i was on 3 x 850mg Metformin but recently changed to Metabet SR due to constant stomach upsets. My GP told me to take 2 1000mg tablets one after breakfast and one after tea/dinner. I have had a few bouts of nausea but they have now subsided and so far no upset stomach!!! Phew!! Maybe it would work for others to spread the tablets out during the day rather than taking them all at once - good luck.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi fol97d23. It sounds like you are a T2 and not a late onset T1. Like most people, losing weight thru diet will be the key. Metformin can take few weeks to have the full effect but it will only reduce your sugar by around 1-2 mmol. Having a low carb diet is the only way to seriouly reduce excess weight and get your sugar reading down. In general berry fruits are OK but bananas, melon and similar fruits are high-GI and not good. Potatoes are generally a problem so don't have mashed or baked. Potatoes cooked with fat are a bit lower-GI. Vegatables are generally very good but avoid some cooked root crops such as carrots etc; have these raw.

iffat83

when i eat metformin i get tummy upset and diarrhoea. i have lose motions and i have to go to the toilet. when i was in hospital the nurses said that they would give me the diabetic medications.
i was given m500 instead 500 metformin tablet many times. i ate the wrong tablet. i am stupid that i do not understand and talk. i am a guinea pig and they can do experiments on me. M500 stands for metformin 500 said one of the staff lady. every day there was new staff and really hospital is horrible place .(queen mary hospital reohampton for mental illness people.) (rose ward ) i do not feel safe in hospital and i think i saw a ghost in my bedroom. i feel very frighten and lonely. i will never go into hospital again for 3 weeks periods. i also did not like the food in hospital. Really rubish food and cooked unhygiencally by [***** ******] maid. i like to cook my own food with nice traditional indian receipes.
we can eat healty food at home but in hospital we are in graveyard situation. we only have to eat their foods. halal food with black onion seeds everday. i am not going to get my gall blader removed. my both parents have got their spleen removed got full up with kalongi black onion seeds, not digestable or breakable by stomach so they got stored in the spleen.

fol97d23

Hi guys

Thanks for the replys so far. Not been on here for a while as im trying to ignore the fact that i am now diabetic, you can run but you cant hide.

Since my original post i have had further bloood tests and have have my medication doubled.

Before diagnosis i felt in great health and had no worries, since being diagnosed i feel all kinds of aches and pains (PARONOIA MAYBE) and now have other embarrisng male problems.

Went for more blood tests yesterday and just waiting on further bad news.

How can you be feeling great one day, have routine tests the next and the have all these problems???

Cheers

Reactions: 2 people

Brown

Hi All,

First time on any forum for me not normally good when discussing issues.

Was diagnosed with T2 start of December following illness. I have made lifestyle changes both in diet and exercise.

I was started on metformin and suffered chronic stomach pains and bowl movement. Was then stuck on metformin SR and have stated on 500mg and a week later gone to 1000mg.

I had been ok until upping to 2 tablets a day, but seem to be getting stomach problems again.

Is it normal and is it likely to last?

Since diagnosis having made commitment to change eating and lifestyle I lost over 2st, it's just now getting me down keep having persistent stomach issues which for nearly a week has prevented me going out. Having made progress in weight management and getting levels from 17 down between 5.5 and 8 on ave with an occasional unexplained spike, just now fed up.

Any advise of similar experience?

Cheers
Wayne

staycalm&hopeful

hi wayne,
I am type 2 diabetic for 5 years now.take 2000mg daily max metformin sr,but Ican remmber starting,
out on it! with stomach aches etc for me it was trail &error the only thing I can advise is to preserve
as things do get better!And make sure you take them with all your meals.Hope this helps,chin up!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Most people seem OK with SR and a few still have problems like you do. In some cases the problems go away after a few weeks and in still fewer people, they have to come off Metformin. You seem to be having good levels overall. If you can continue with a good low-carb diet you may be able to come back down to 500mg Metformin. Perhaps discuss with the doc having some meter readings to show? If you take the 2 tablets at one time splitting them up morning & evening may help?

Brown

That sound positive, will keep going to see if symptoms disappear. My concern is that my GP initially wanted me on higher dose but kept to 1000mg (2x500 daily). I am being reviewed in a few weeks to see how things are. Hopefully maintaining good diet and excercise will prevent an increase in meds....maybe?

Cheers for comments, much appreciated.

brunodog25

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
HOSPITALS AND CERTAIN STAFF DOCS NBOT BEEN STRAIGHT WITH ME PREFER TRUTH THEN GET IT OVER AND DONE WITH
HI I AM ON METFORMIN SR HAVE HAD THE RARE BOUT OF NAUSEA BUT HAVE STOMACH CRAMPS AND WHEN I SAY AWFULL DISGUSTING FLATUENCE I MEAN IT AND IT HARD FOR A GUY TO ADMIT THAT NEVER MIND AN EX NURSE I TOLD THE GP AND AS DID THE WIFE AND WE WERE TOLD TO PERSIST AS I HAVEN'T BEEN TO SEE A CONSULTANT YET AND AS I HAVE A NUMBER OF UNDERLYING PROBLEMS THEY ARE RELUCTANT TO DO ANYTHING TILL I HAVE SEEN THE DIABETES TEAM GOOD LUCK THOUGH THE ONLY THING THAT HELPS ME IS THINKING NO MATTER HOW BAD I FEEL THERE IS SOMEONE FEELING WORSE AND ITS TRUE
JOHN