Metformin SR brands difference?

NoughtQAF

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I know I may be grasping at straws here but do people experience any difference in the effects of Metformin SR brands?

I was on Metformin (standard) 3x 500mg but then I started to experience cyclical diarrhoea and vomiting. I was changed to a prescription of generic Metformin SR 3x 500mg. The digestive side effects stopped within a few days. I thought yes it's all better this can work. However come my third monthly prescription a couple of days in and it all starts up again. I don't normally pay any attention to the brands of prescription medication. However I realised that the first 2 months were Metabet SR and the most recent ones are Glucient SR. The Glucient ones are powdery on the outside rather than being plasticy like Metabet.

Relatedly anyone else notice their bg levels increase on the SR?

Am I clutching at straws or is there a difference?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

Although not a type 2 and with no experience of metformin; I did find this old thread for you that might be of some use:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/metformin-sr-side-effects.28360/

There are unfortunately many mentions of the diarrhea problem, but on a plus note - it looks like dosing adjustments seem to have had a positive impact on your fellow metformin users.

Please let us know if after reading; you make any changes. Moreover, if the changes make any difference to your health - feedback to the thread - as hopefully the info here may help others as well:)

All the best and I hope you're feeling better soon!

Grant

C

catherinecherub

Hi,

I know I may be grasping at straws here but do people experience any difference in the effects of Metformin SR brands?

I was on Metformin (standard) 3x 500mg but then I started to experience cyclical diarrhoea and vomiting. I was changed to a prescription of generic Metformin SR 3x 500mg. The digestive side effects stopped within a few days. I thought yes it's all better this can work. However come my third monthly prescription a couple of days in and it all starts up again. I don't normally pay any attention to the brands of prescription medication. However I realised that the first 2 months were Metabet SR and the most recent ones are Glucient SR. The Glucient ones are powdery on the outside rather than being plasticy like Metabet.

I would go back to your G.P. and explain what has happened with the new batch. Ask him to write the brand on your prescription so that the pharmacy do not substitute it with another SR version.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I have either Glucophage SR or Metabet SR and neither gives a problem for me

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Hi @NoughtQAF ,
I swapped to Metabet SR 1x 1000mg six weeks ago after some well-documented visits to my midnight throne. Since then the episodes are reduced, (although they have occurred daily this week), in severity and duration, and certainly are less disruptive than before. I was hiking a coast path this week when I got the gurgles. I was able to reach home and safety after half an hour of VERY careful walking.

alison.81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only just started Metformin SR but I only have particular brands of my Levothyroxine and Amlodipine. I told my pharmacist and he started giving me only those brands. If you use the same pharmacy regularly then have a word and tell them which brand is best for you. I admit I did have to leave one pharmacy because they weren't willing to give me the brand I wanted.

NoughtQAF

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you taking the time to respond. It's been helpful I should have a prescription waiting for me at the pharmacy so hopefully they'll be able to listen and give me the Metabet if not I hope the dr will listen.

Thanks once again

D

Deleted member 464700

Hi,

yes, I have found a significant difference, the worst one I have had is called Sukkoret, I eventually threw them away, they also have a thin powdery coating, I suspect that these cheap generic copies are just basic Metformin but with an inferior coating which makes them no different to the normal pills, hence you get the same gastric side effects. I have just started Glucient SR and they are not much better

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude & condescending people. I will call you out on it.
Hi. I have either Glucophage SR or Metabet SR and neither gives a problem for me
I was going to say the same.

When I was on Metformin, I went through several brands and only Glucophage SR caused no tummy problems.

Most pharmacists are reluctant to order a specific brand though, so I visited every one in my own until I found one that did.

Good luck!

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude & condescending people. I will call you out on it.
It looks like this.
Screenshot_20201122-191326_Gallery.jpg

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been taking Metformin SR for 12 years with no problems after the first couple of weeks but then I started to have a horrible taste in my mouth like a chemical taste I did some research and found that metformin can have that effect but because I had been taking it for so long it wouldn't be that but then I realised that I had not had this pharmaceutical company before I talked to my pharmacist who made sure that the next prescription was not from this company and the taste went away .I wondered if it was my imagination so I didn't ask for a specific pharmaceutical company metformin and the new one came again and the taste came back .So now my prescription stipulates that I don't have made from this company I believe that it is not the Metformin but other ingredients like fillers that are to blame .
Carol