Metformin SR side effects?

MonkstonDave

I have found (2000mg a day 2 x 2 tablets) that it is all about timing for SR Metformin. If I take it too much before food, or, too late after food (forgotten in error) it's carnage on the body. If you take it just before, just after or during the meal it's fine.

Reactions: MCMLXXIII

Blomps69

Interesting...I have been on merformin 2500mg daily as well as 2x80mg Gliklazide and Humolin I x 18mg daily to try to raised blood figures due to 20mg steroids daily for polymyalgia. Real nightmare considering the wicked side effects of metformin. I have now stopped the Sr merformin completely and am using Nova Rapid after midday meal. Results are no different and I no longer feel nauseous along with stomach problems. I am type 2.

Reactions: MCMLXXIII

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well what can I say.
Thankyou for the flurry of responses, advice, experiences and suggestions.
That made most informative reading.
I've been off the Metformin for a week and to be honest I feel great and I'm losing some abdominal fat too.
Of course I'm liasing with the Doctor about this in a week's time.
I'm getting through about 6 cold fusion (water) tea bags a day, walking and using a boxing punch bag.
Also trying to eat clean like swapping my penchant for crisps for nuts and seeds.
I guess the proof will be on the next hb1ac but if I start to feel ill, I won't hesitate to consult the Doctor.

Thanks for restoring my faith in possibility!

Tombarkas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello.
A few weeks ago I had a post Diabetic check-up phone consultation with my G.P because my blood sugar was high (I'm type 2).
We agreed to double my dose of Metformin SR to 2 x 1000mg tablets daily (so 2000mg per day).
I'm a little worried for the last week I've suffered from some gastrointestinal issues, such as nausea, diarrhea, heartburn, loss of appetite and stomach pain. It's been a discomfort.
Is this related to my increased dose or could I get some advice please.
I also tested for Covid twice in the last fortnight and was negative.
Perhaps related to this I'm finding it difficult to sleep.
Yours sincerely
Chris
I was stuck on 2 x 500 mg normal metformin for 2 years, then started getting frequent liquid diarrhoea and worse fairly often. The nurse finally realised I'd been left on 2 tablets by mistake and increased it to 3 and the diarrhoea instantly got worse. I came off metformin for 10 days and the diarrhoea disappeared from day 1. Went on to 3 x 500 mg SR metformin and not quite as bad, though I struggle to swallow the tablets. Also had aching abdomen for 10 months, but this isn't affected by stopping metformin. Might have to move to a different drug.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was stuck on 2 x 500 mg normal metformin for 2 years, then started getting frequent liquid diarrhoea and worse fairly often. The nurse finally realised I'd been left on 2 tablets by mistake and increased it to 3 and the diarrhoea instantly got worse. I came off metformin for 10 days and the diarrhoea disappeared from day 1. Went on to 3 x 500 mg SR metformin and not quite as bad, though I struggle to swallow the tablets. Also had aching abdomen for 10 months, but this isn't affected by stopping metformin. Might have to move to a different drug.
It took some time for my insides to recover from taking Metformin for just 5 weeks or so. Nothing like the agony I had taking it, but my guts were rather sensitive and tender for months after stopping the tablets. For even longer I had indigestion and acid reflux, which did eventually settle down - but having had unperturbable digestion previously it was an annoyance.
I was exploding on just one tablet, so I must be very sensitive, the effect on my guts was just what you describe.

Tombarkas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It took some time for my insides to recover from taking Metformin for just 5 weeks or so. Nothing like the agony I had taking it, but my guts were rather sensitive and tender for months after stopping the tablets. For even longer I had indigestion and acid reflux, which did eventually settle down - but having had unperturbable digestion previously it was an annoyance.
I was exploding on just one tablet, so I must be very sensitive, the effect on my guts was just what you describe.
Forgot to mention the gastric reflux - now take cimetidine for that