Metformin tablets

mike00

Hi
I have been very high in double figs for six weeks and have thrush been to doc and he up my tablets but nothing as made me lower and after seeing tv about tablets being fake as anyone else came across this ?
I have cut all sugar item out my diet to get lower reading but nothing working i been to doc for blood test and back next week for results ?
been thinking useing my mum sinslin to get me low as it getting me down
any help would be greatfull

jane22

Sorry to hear this but please don't start using your mum's insulin that sounds very dangerous. It's not just sugar, you need to look at your carbs in general. Hope you can get help from your doc very soon.

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
Mike, never take any medication that is not specifically prescibed for you by your Doctors, it could be very dangerous and could be fatal. Work with your Doctor, it may take some time to get your BG levels under control but please do not do anything to put your life in danger.

mike00

its just that i have not change any think for the last 3 months in my diet which is why am so worried as its mess with my sex life as my foreskin is so tight and tear the skin so i cant clean myself or cream the infected thrush area ?

C

catherinecherub

Hi Mike,
Things seem pretty bad at the moment but once you get your blood sugars under control then things will improve.
Perhaps you could tell us a typical day's food intake and we may be able to help you. It is not just sugar but also carbohydrate foods, potatoes, bread, pasta, rice and cereals that might be the reason your sugars are high. You may have to use smaller portions or cut some of these out altogether. Also be careful with anything like sausage rolls, pasties, scotch eggs etc.

DO NOT resort to using mum's insulin as this could make you very ill indeed.

mike00

starts off with wheat abix 3 no with coffee 2 sweetex coffee about 11ish and toast and beens with tea and for dinner prawns and jacket potatoe
breakfast same and mc d ceasor salad with chicken and diet coke and for dinner chips and fish
and water drink as its getting a pain now

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Going by that food list you are eating a lot of carbs that you may not be aware of. Weetabix ( 3) is a lot of carbs, as are bread and beans.

Have a read of the information we give to newly diagnosed Type 2's and see if this can help.

Here is the advice we usually give to newly diagnosed type 2 diabetics.This forum doesn't always follow the recommended dietary advice, you have to work out what works for you as we are all different.

It's not just 'sugars' you need to avoid, diabetes is an inability to process glucose properly. Carbohydrate converts, in the body, to glucose. So it makes sense to reduce the amount of carbohydrate that you eat which includes sugars.

The main carbs to avoid or reduce are the complex or starchy carbohydrates such as bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, starchy root veg and also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

The way to find out how different foods affect you is to do regular daily testing and keep a food diary for a couple of weeks. If you test just before eating then two hours after eating you will see the effect of certain foods on your blood glucose levels. Some foods, which are slow acting carbohydrates, are absorbed more slowly so you may need to test three or even four hours later to see the affect that these have on your blood glucose levels.

Buy yourself a carb counter book (you can get these on-line) and you will be able to work out how much carbs you are eating, when you test, the reading two hours after should be roughly the same as the before eating reading, if it is then that meal was fine, if it isn’t then you need to check what you have eaten and think about reducing the portion size of carbs.

When you are buying products check the total carbohydrate content, this includes the sugar content. Do not just go by the amount of sugar on the packaging as this is misleading to a diabetic.

As for a tester, try asking the nurse/doctor and explain that you want to be proactive in managing your own diabetes and therefore need to test so that you can see just how foods affect your blood sugar levels. Hopefully this will work ! Sometimes they are not keen to give Type 2’s the strips on prescription, (in the UK) but you can but try !!

As a Type 2 the latest 2010 NICE guidelines for Bg levels are as follows:
Fasting (waking).......between 4 - 7 mmol/l.
2 hrs after meals......no more than 8.5 mmol/l.
If you are able to keep the post meal numbers lower, so much the better.

It also helps if you can do 30 minutes moderate exercise a day. It doesn't have to be strenuous.

Ken/Sue.

mrssmurf2

Hi Mike

I not sure about the blood sugar side as I am newly diagnosed too and trying to get my blood sugars down. BUT I can advise about the thrush, try having a bath with a few drops of pure teas tree oil in (you can get it in Boots) don't have the water too hot and don't out more than 5 drops in. It does really really ease the burning sensation and gives you a bit of respite from the flippin agony. Also if that doesn't work try the good old bio yogurt straight from the fridge, obviously dont use flavoured one lol!!

Good luck

mike00

thank you i will have a go at that
i was thinking last night i was 6.3 at 10;30pm so on the right way then when i wake up this morning am 10.4 at 830am i had my dinner at 6pm last nite which was potatoe cabage cornbeef and carrots and 2 mugs of coffee over evening

doc as given me cream, its just i cant get it to the area to put it on as foreskin to tight to pull back to aply

mike

jane22

I think a lot of us get this morning rise in blood sugars. A tip I was given is to have 1 oatcake or cracker at bedtime with butter and a slice of cheese. I'm not talking about a full blown supper just a nibble. It has helped me a bit. The combination of carbs and fat is important.

Also you may need to look at the amount of potatoes you are eating. I have recently started substituting mashed cauliflower with just a smidge of cream or butter for potatoes and am amazed at how delicious it is.
I had thrush for a while earlier this year and it does make you feel awful. Now I have my BG's under control I haven't been troubled by any of the nasty things I was getting.
Hope you feel better soon.

mike00

The bit that i cant get is my bs as been 7 for the last 4 years its only change since i been on a new batch of metformin tables and its been at the high 28,9 which was a shock as i have not change my diet only think i have change is not having any sweet stuff eg gold bar or twix other than that i should be the same .
As you have told me eating different stuff will change bs but i have not change my eating habits so why change in bs other than tablets or my body's packed up ?
Waiting to see nurse on Tuesday to see what my results are ?

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
political correctness in any form
Hi
Have you tried keeping a food diary and checking it when your bs is giving a high reading. I am currently having problems with my bs, being occasionally 13 but generally around 7 - 10. Higher than I would like and I am now looking at the GI diet which really suits me. I have cut out everything with a high GI to help eliminate higher bs reading. I am on metformin and insulin meds. Do you also exercise daily as that really helps. My bs changes if I am not well so maybe it could be that. Polly

mart47

Mike, I've been there, just a few months ago! I feel your pain :(

3 weeks ago I switched to a low carb (30g perday) diet and seen my sugars fall from a norm of 14+ to a norm of 6. I still get a high reading first thing (darn liver...) of about 9.0, but before lunch and dinner it's about 5.8 / 6.00.

Try the low carb for a few weeks, and you'll find the thrush will disapear as well as help your numbers drop.

All the best and keep us posted

Mart

mike00

hi been to docs and he up my tablets has my hb1 as gone up to 9 not my usual 7 and i lost over a stone from my last visit 4 weeks ago so back to my normal weight which is still heavy 19 stone but my problem is still here ?
michael

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Michael.
I see you are still having problems.....one of our members previously asked what sort of food you were eating. You were also given the standard advice for a Type 2 Diabetic, did you read all of that ?

Can you give us a typical days diet intake so we might be able to help answer you better.

What you eat (carbs) can have a massive effect on Bg levels. I know you say you haven't changed your diet.....that's just it...as a Diabetic you might have to. We really do need more information from you about this.

Ken

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there a problem with counterfeit metformin ?
You have replied to a thread nearly 10 years old, hopefully the OP will have sorted out his problems by now. As Metformin is extremely cheap, it seems an unlikely drug to fake, also I would expect the NHS has reputable suppliers.