Metformin What Comes Next ?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a look at the carbs on the Oatbix thats not the sugars it what it says are the carbs is, I would imagine it's very high and the milk will also be high. What lots have on here is full fat Greek yogurt with berries & I have some Flaxseed 2 teaspoons sprinkled on. Or eggs and Bacon mushrooms, or an Omelette or scrambled eggs or poached eggs. The banana will be no good for you

For me & I believe most on here will have to have either Hovis Seed Sensations 13g carbs per slice only 1 slice at a meal time, or Burgen Soya & Linseed 12g carbs per slice all the others are in the 18 & 20's per slice.

The meat and veg is ok but the veg's should be from above the ground some root veg's have a lot of carbs including the potatoes. I only manage 1/2 a jacket maybe once week with lots of butter & cheese.

The biscuits are a NO NO just full of sugar & carbs, sorry.

I love indian food too, but the rice you would have to look at the portion sizes also any naan's or poppadoms, but if you were doing the rest through the weeks you could maybe have your indian treat.

You have to start to test just before you start a meal to see where you are at then test at at least 2 hrs you do not want to have moved more than 2mmol/L from start to the finish if you have there is something in there that you need to remove or have a smaller quantity. I would personally test at 1hr also in the early stages. Once you know what you can eat you don't need to do all the testing.

Your number will come down , a little exersize will help 1/2 walking a day.

Good luck
Neil
@daddys1 great minds think alike..

indian is fine, cut the rice and breads and have a nonstarch veg curry dish on the side or a little dahl or lentil

Reactions: 2 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@daddys1 great minds think alike..

indian is fine, cut the rice and breads and have a nonstarch veg curry dish on the side or a little dahl or lentil

Hi Jack, Tesco's are doing a ready meal curry with rice, both a Rogan Josh or it might have been a madras, I think & a Jafrezia (can't spell) both under 10 carbs, I have had 2 now and for a ready meal was pretty good.

Neil

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jack, Tesco's are doing a ready meal curry with rice, both a Rogan Josh or it might have been a madras, I think & a Jafrezia (can't spell) both under 10 carbs, I have had 2 now and for a ready meal was pretty good.

Neil
I'm in aussie, but thank you
I home cook and use a lot of indian paste in jars, add can tomato or coconut cream or peanut paste or yoghurt as required..I tend to do a one pot meat and veg..too lazy to do a meat and veg separately..a couple of microwaved [gas stove top flame better] papadams and I'm a happy camper

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We be getting done for being off message, so just say Yes I cook Indian also, use paste (in Jars) also Pataks it's supherb. Used to have lot of Basmatti Rice with onions, Cardamom's. I done the coconut milk tomatoes etc myself. Always have yogurt separate to eat as you go when having the curry. We have it very hot Vindaloo or very hot Madras.
Neil

Ayrshire Dave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality shows and people who wear sunglasses on top of their heads especially indoors.
Having been on Metformin for around 20 months now and I am new to the forums I am getting more and more confused by the day, since being diagnosed T2, I or rather my wife has been watching sugar intake carefully now it would appear to be carbs that are more important
Dave

Reactions: 4 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having been on Metformin for around 20 months now and I am new to the forums I am getting more and more confused by the day, since being diagnosed T2, I or rather my wife has been watching sugar intake carefully now it would appear to be carbs that are more important
Dave
Hi Dave & Welcome, yes it is very confusing, but the NHS does not help with the information they give out. They talk of eating in moderation all foods, and for some it is probably OK, and may help a little. They also say reduce the sugar sweet things but they state that Carbohydrates should be part of the diet the Eat Well Plate.

It is however, the Carbohydrate that turns to glucose which affects us diabetics. It also affects normal people because when people eat carbohydrates, insulin is called for and any glucose not used up on energy/exercise the insulin turns the glucose to fat.

The dietitians are now starting to change their views and we have just had Trudi Deakin from 'expert health' contacted to the NHS writing a book saying they have made a mistake and Low Carb High Fat is the answer.

Neil

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi again @Ayrshire Dave,

Just to say I was diagnosed pre, had a really good diet even then, and did not have a sweet tooth, was not taking sugar in tea or coffee. Had few cakes 1 a month no biscuits had lots of Fish, but had Rice Potatoes Bread, this was all before being diagnosed Pre Diabetic.

When diagnosed cut down a little on the potatoes, lost a stone in weight in 9 months, introduced more fruit into the diet and cereal and then was diagnosed borderline diabetic following the NHS diet.

Since October when I had the diagnosis I have followed the LCHF I am now out of the diabetic range and my Cholesterol could not be better.

The Metformin only has a very mild effect on your level of blood sugars.

Neil

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
One oatibix for breakfast and maybe a banana. Lunch could beans on toast or ham salad sandwich - wholemeal bread normally. For di normally potatoes or rice with meat and veg. probably have some biscuits or chocolate. Like Indian food. Have this once or twice a month. Drink lot of tea and coffee. No alcohol
HI. That diet is not good with far too many carbs. It's Ok to have some alcohol as it doesn't affect blood sugar by much

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
One poster asked what LADA was? It stands for Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood. It is effectively T1 that occurs later in life due to one or more antibodies killing islet cells. It's definition does vary and some GPs etc will deny it's existence. As there are many causes of islet cell death including viruses and pancreatitis to name some, I tend to think of LADA as just Late onset T1. Some people will say LADA will always be different from early life T1 but I have not seen any justification for this. Treatment is normally the same i.e. a low-carb diet combined with one or more tablets and with insulin almost certainly needed in the end

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Dave

Hi Dave, welcome :). Sounds like you have been yet another victim of the useless dietary advice given out by the NHS to diabetics. But the good news is you can turn it round quickly. Have a read of the first link in my sig below.

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dave

Hi Dave,
It can be confusing, I was baffled at first. I decided to go with the people on this forum, who live it day in day out, with years of experience and lots of info to hand. (and i work for the nhs lol) After that I wasn't so confused and manage relatively ok. Always more to learn of course. Good luck:)