Metformin withdrawal

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For the last 3 years I have been on 1 Metformin a day and my fasting blood sugar was about 5.7 and last hbac1d was also 5.7. I asked to come off metformin a month ago. Now my fasting blood is creeping up to 7.1 on waking. Should I be back on the 1 Metformin?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Not if a very low carb breakfast (or coffee with double cream) reduces it - as it would for most people.
Fasting BG like this is just Sawn Phenomenon and when short lasting is actually to be welcomed.
Eventually your body will adjust, but this can take more than 1year.

I currently skip breakfast (use 16:8 Time Restricted Eating), but before I was fully fat adapted I used to have 2 boiled eggs for breakfast and my highish fating BG (around 6.9) always either dropped or stayed at that level.

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not if a very low carb breakfast (or coffee with double cream) reduces it - as it would for most people.
Fasting BG like this is just Sawn Phenomenon and when short lasting is actually to be welcomed.
Eventually your body will adjust, but this can take more than 1year.

I currently skip breakfast (use 16:8 Time Restricted Eating), but before I was fully fat adapted I used to have 2 boiled eggs for breakfast and my highish fating BG (around 6.9) always either dropped or stayed at that level.

Thank you Ian

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
We cannot advise you on whether or not to take it or any other medication, but it is your choice. @ianf0ster has described things rather well.