1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Metformin/ Yaltormin

Discussion in 'Diabetes Medication and Drugs' started by 84green, Apr 27, 2020.

1. 84green

84green · Well-Known Member

I recently emailed my GP following a private HbA1c test which showed my level at 38 mmol/mol, down from 56 on 4 February. I am currently prescribed 4 x 500mg Metformin SR per day.

Had a phone call from the surgery this morning telling me to move to 2 x 500mg per day pending a further review at my next test in July. I was expecting / hoping for this.

On checking my medication on line I see that my prescription has been changed to 2 x 500mg Yaltormin SR per day.

Is Yaltormin a new brand name. Is there any difference between the two in terms of side effects?

Thanks.

2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you google it, it appears to be metformin.

3. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

4. 84green

84green · Well-Known Member

thanks Rachel. I see it’s quite a bit cheaper than other forms - which may be the answer! I’m waiting to see how my next test goes and whether gp reduces further or takes me off altogether. I probably have enough of the original until then anyway.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook