metformin

brack43

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, can anyone tell me if metformin can lower blood sugar too low. My first hbc1 test was 101 it is now 33 , be feeling tired lately checked my blood and its 3.8

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, can anyone tell me if metformin can lower blood sugar too low. My first hbc1 test was 101 it is now 33 , be feeling tired lately checked my blood and its 3.8
Hi Brack, It is very unlikely that Metformin would have such a great effect on your bgl. It is generally quite weak in terms of lowering blood glucose, so you must have something else going on here, While it is not unheard of having a hypo on metformin, it is extremely rare.
We will need more info before we can offer any suggestions. Are you on any other diabetic meds? What dose of Metformin? Are you doing anything special in your diet? fasting?
An HbA1c of 100 is equivakent to an average of around 15 mmol/l on your meter over the last 3 months or so, so if the 3.8 is valid then this is indeed a spectacular drop.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I think in the first instance, I would retest after washing hands again in case something has contaminated the test strips.

Reactions: 2 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
But doesn't something on your hands always falsely raise your BG? As in there is some remnants of oil, creams or food on your hands.

To go from an average of 15 and then get a reading of 3.8 - @brack43, yes, either meter error big-time, or, there is something wrong and you need to see a doctor, and I would say - don't wait till your usual practice opens - go to an A and E, perhaps. You or we cannot know what has happened to you - but hopefully medical professionals can. (They will give you the relevant tests and pronto to see if all is OK.)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But doesn't something on your hands always falsely raise your BG? As in there is some remnants of oil, creams or food on your hands.

To go from an average of 15 and then get a reading of 3.8 - @brack43, yes, either meter error big-time, or, there is something wrong and you need to see a doctor, and I would say - don't wait till your usual practice opens - go to an A and E, perhaps. You or we cannot know what has happened to you - but hopefully medical professionals can. (They will give you the relevant tests and pronto to see if all is OK.)
I note that there are 2 HbA1c's mentioned, so it would seem likely that there is a period of some 3 months between these sets of readings. I suspect that there is background activity to reduce bgl levels which is hidden from us at the moment. There is probably a rational reason for the drop, which is comensurate with an HbA1c of 33. The question appears to be would Metformin be responsible for a low bgl of 3.8? I personally think it is probably more due to diet constraints rather than a medication issue. It is rare that a Metformin only regime would give an apparent hypo.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A few weeks ago I had a BG of 3.8 and did feel quite poorly until I had consumed some carbs and it came back up to my more normal reading for then. And I am only on metformin and dietary measures.

It would do no harm to seek medical advice though.either at A&E or by calling 111.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, your sugar can go low on metformin. Sorry I disagree with others that say it can't as I had my very first hypo when I was on metformin only for treatment and I've had plenty of hypos ever since my first one. It's a good idea to speak with your doc about your treatment. It may be you need to lower the dosage or something.

brack43

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I should have said the 101 reading was 6 months ago my last test was 2 weeks ago which was 33 . Just this pass few days have been feeling tired and checked my blood which was 3.8 , been doing the lchf diet . Just wondered if 2 metformin a day may be too much now I have good control.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Metformin shouldn't cause a hypo, technically. However, it's not impossible to experience a hypo, just the same as a non diabetic might experience a hypo.
I found that if I skipped breakfast and lunch and then mowed the grass which took about an hour, then I would get low BG.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, I should have said the 101 reading was 6 months ago my last test was 2 weeks ago which was 33 . Just this pass few days have been feeling tired and checked my blood which was 3.8 , been doing the lchf diet . Just wondered if 2 metformin a day may be too much now I have good control.
I play around with my meds, and tell my doctor later if I find an improvement by doing things differently from my scrip(t). You are not under any obligation to take meds, just as you can discharge yourself from hospital care against doctors advice. So you could drop yourself down on the Metformin, and see how it goes.
What I do, is I work out a running average, so if there is a change, then the average will show it in a couple of days. Personally I found Metformin dropped me by only about 1 or 2 mmol/l and I am on 2,ooo. mg a day. I am also doing LCHF and I am getting lows like you, but I am cutting my Gliclazide dose to adjust this. When I am stable, then I will tell my GP what dose I have ended up with, and if he insists on giving me more, then I will bin what I don't need.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It sounds like your meds need altering. My blood pressure tablet had to be change when I started lchf diet @brack43 . Make an appointment with your gp. On starting lchf diet its advisable to let your gp know. For such circumstances.
Well done with your bgs. You could be facing meds free diabetes. Fingers crossed for you. Well done in your improvement. :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@ickihun yes I would like to know as well as since I have lost so much weight and been eating less carbs my BP has dropped drastically and I am wondering if I need to carry on taking my Losartin though as I am booked in for cardio-vascular surgery in May I may hold off on changing any thing till after AAA's are fixed.

brack43

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everybody, will book an appointment with gp. Hopefully fingers crossed can come of the metformin.
Can't believe how much the lchf diet has an impact on the bg levels but so happy it does. Especially when the nurse told me to eat more carbs , baked potato, pasta ect.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What wonderful change in HbA1c results. Well done!

I can't add anything to the metformin comments, but wanted to pipe up with my congratulations. :)

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same thing happened to me a month ago, came back from a day long course and felt horrible , so tested and was 3.8 , have never been that low.

Have lost 3 stone on LCHF in the last 7 months.... but have been feeling tired and under the weather the last couple of months... brain fog mostly....and a bit dizzy or light headed on occaision....

Also on quite a few meds for high BP and tested the other week and was 109/70, so went to the doc and she agreed to drop the Metformin by half and lose one of the BP meds....

will see how it goes

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@ickihun yes I would like to know as well as since I have lost so much weight and been eating less carbs my BP has dropped drastically and I am wondering if I need to carry on taking my Losartin though as I am booked in for cardio-vascular surgery in May I may hold off on changing any thing till after AAA's are fixed.
@JohnEGreen myself I see my gp if I feel unwell. He picked up that my blood pressure had changed. Mind you the dizzy spells were a sign for me. I was having palpatations and dizzy spells. I now take bisoprolol 2.5mg.
Only the gp's advice would have me change blood pressure tablets. As I don't know enough about that subject myself. @debrasue .

Reactions: 4 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My dietician has took a strop because I won't eat carbs in every meal.
I wonder if your dietician had diabetes would she/he follow his/her own advice or would they be here on this forum with us.

Reactions: 3 people