Metformin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In Marh 2016. My HbA1c reading was 98. In December 2016. My HbA1c was 45. All done with no medication. No metformin. All done by diet. To those who are having such a hard time with metformin. I suggest you have a long hard talk with your Doctor. Remember one very important thing . Metformin is not a cure for diabetes. With all the problems it causes. Do people really need to take it ? I've proved that it doesn't need to be taken. Had i dropped 3 more points. Theoretically i would have dropped out of being diabetic. Although once diabetic always diabetic But now im in pre diabetic mode. And boy am i working hard to drop those 3 points to 42. If there is enough interest i will gladly share with you how i managed to do it. And it's not difficult.

Last edited:

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Remember one very important thing . Metformin is not a cure for diabetes. With all the problems it causes. Do people really need to take it ? .

Apart from stomach/gastric issues - what other problems is Metformin known to cause? I've been taking it since initial Type 2 diagnosis at beginning of November - increased by end of November to 4 x 250mg XR (all taken at night) when insulin was also added.

Touch wood no side effects/problems I'm aware of - are there things I should be looking out for - I realise it's not a cure for diabetes - just one of the treatments that many people seem to start with

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In Marh 2016. My hbc1a reading was 98. In December 2016. My hbc1a was 45. All done with no medication. No metformin. All done by diet. To those who are having such a hard time with metformin. I suggest you have a long hard talk with your Doctor. Remember one very important thing . Metformin is not a cure for diabetes. With all the problems it causes. Do people really need to take it ? I've proved that it doesn't need to be taken. Had i dropped 3 more points. Theoretically i would have dropped out of being diabetic. Although once diabetic always diabetic But now im in pre diabetic mode. And boy am i working hard to drop those 3 points to 42. If there is enough interest i will gladly share with you how i managed to do it. And it's not difficult.
My results are pretty much the same my method shown in my signature.

Reactions: wiseowl_123

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Agree with @SueNSW - it's just 1 of many treatments for Diabetes and it's a personal choice whether you take Metformin.
Most people take to Metformin. But, it can cause Stomach upset at first especially if taken on an empty stomach. The good news is these symptoms usually go away after a few weeks.
I have been taking Metformin now for nearly 15 years and the only problem I get is the occasional Constipation. :)

M

ME_Valentijn

Apart from stomach/gastric issues - what other problems is Metformin known to cause?
It can cause symptoms associated with lactic acidosis in susceptible people. Pretty much every ME/CFS patient I've heard of who has tried it has had to stop it.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@SueNSW - Hi :). I stand corrected by another member - when I quoted to you that the post meal test (2 hours) range was 4 to 9 - it is set by the NICE guidelines to be: 4 to 8.5. You will see this in the information which is posted by daisy1 to all New Members.

My Diabetologist at the Hospital set mine to be 4 to 9, and yet the Diabetes Nurse at my GP Practise always say to me aim for under 10.

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No problem at all @Liam1955 (and if that's your birth year - hey - us 1955 models need to stick together : ) )

From reading posts on here and other sources it appears there are almost as many different opinions about so many aspects of diabetes

As I think I said somewhere, under 10 two hours after meals was what the endo wanted to see - with interestingly no minimum - the figure of 4 intrigues me - here in Australia I've had it drummed in to me that one isn't safe to drive if under 5