Metformin

alodeny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes two weeks ago. now I am on Metformin two times a day. I wonder, does Metformin even works? because since I used it I notice no difference.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes two weeks ago. now I am on Metformin two times a day. I wonder, does Metformin even works? because since I used it I notice no difference.
How would you know unless you're testing. It only makes a marginal difference but it does work. You can achieve more following a LCHF diet.

Reactions: alodeny

alodeny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How would you know unless you're testing. It only makes a marginal difference but it does work. You can achieve more following a LCHF diet.
I regularly check my blood sugar (6 times a day). the numbers never changed.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I regularly check my blood sugar (6 times a day). the numbers never changed.

Metformin only helps to a limited extent and will do nothing to reduce post meal rises. It doesn't work that way. It works on the liver to help reduce the amount of glucose the liver produces, and hence may help with morning fasting levels. It helps overweight people the most, and is an appetite suppressant. It is a very mild drug.

You cannot sit back and expect your blood sugar levels to reduce unless you reduce your carbohydrate consumption. Diet is the key. Not Metformin.

johnoo

Alodeny,
I agree I went for years not believing, getting HbA1c results in the 60's.
Then a shock HbA1c went up to 75.
Had to do something positive
Reduced carbs greatly. Cut out Bread/Beer/Potatoes. Looked at lists of low carb food.
Starting eating Celeriac instead of potatoes, I now think it's great!
Kept up drinking red wine.
Last HbA1c test reduced to a very acceptable 45
Now testing BS on regular intervals & getting average results of 6.3
Give it a try, it has worked for me.
Just hope this post helps you
PS My tablet prescription has also been reduced

Reactions: sugarshy
P

pollensa

Metformin. The Big question does it do as it states, or any use, I was prescribed here in Spain, when my random finger test showed below 200mg/dl 11mmol/mol i.e.I was normal, but as it was a little high, Prescribed Metformin.

I researched from reputable sources and established that it was originally for malaria my Do'c did not even know that until I raised this to his attention, as I asked had he prescribed me correctly i.e. do I have malaria or Diabetes, loved the look on his face on that one.

It shuffles the sugars around, to other parts of the body as I basically understand not been a doctor.

For this, I opted to follow my inside feeling, and threw them out of the window.

Instead, took up intermittent fasting 4 days a week, so easy and great, it naturally gets rid of the sugars in the liver. By doing this I have noticed my sugar levels normal consistently, combined with change of lifestyle low carb eating,3 meals a day only, no snacking inbetween, no potatoes, bread pasta or rice for 11 months lost 18 kilos, and feel absolutely fantastic, oh by the way reduced my A1C x 23% in 4 four months, why.

I HAD THROWN MY METFORM OUT OF THE WINDOW....

Good Luck, take care.

Mallorca