Metformin

huggles

HI. Ive been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and put on Metformin. I started taking 1 a day on tuesday the 12th jan, and for the past couple of days ive suffered bad Dirorea. but for the past 2 days its been very painfull and seams like just water coming out of me. Im sorry to be so graffic but its causing me distress and pain.
Is there anything i can do or do i need to stop taking them.
Thanks
Rachael

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum Rachel. Please go and see you doctor and ask for the SR version of metformin. This may help with your problem.

huggles

Hi. sorry im very new to all this.. can u explain what SR version of Metformin is please.
How it may help me?. at the moment im quite distressed thinking if i can't take metformin will have 2 go onto injections.
Thanks
Rachael

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
huggles said:
Hi. sorry im very new to all this.. can u explain what SR version of Metformin is please.
How it may help me?. at the moment im quite distressed thinking if i can't take metformin will have 2 go onto injections.
Thanks
Rachael

There are two versions of Metformin, the standard version which you are on and apparently having difficulties with.

The other version is called Metformin SR (Slow Release) or MR (Modified Release). These are both slow release versions of Metformin which are usually better tolerated. Less side effects.

There are other drugs which can be prescribed before you need to think about Insulin.

See your Gp and ask to be put on this version as Sue stated.

Angela09

Dislikes
Oh, where to start! Am a grumpy old woman!
Hi, I also have a problem with Metformin. When I was taking the ordinary sort I managed by taking Immodium about twice a week (not sure if that is a good idea or not, it's just what I did). I did adjust a bit better after a while and took it for about 9 years. About a year ago I asked to be changed to SR Metformin and it is a lot better. I still occasionally get an upset tum so I still take Immodium when necessary. I have a very sensitive stomach and have done all my life. I have learnt which foods to avoid which also helps. I hope you can have the SR Metformin and hope things improve for you. I have mentioned Immodium simply because I use the Instant ones as they work faster.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I personally never had any trouble with Metformin, but I'm told that it's better tolerated( by some people) if taken in the middle of a meal instead of after.

stani36

Hi,

I'm on insulin and the SR Metformin. I'm on 4 x 500g metformin a day as I also have polysystic ovaries and metformin can help with it. When I first started taking Metformin many years ago i had a terrible upset stomach for about 2 weeks and each time my dose was increased I went through about 2 weeks of upset stomach each time.

I find that taking my metformin before I eat helps, don't know why as everyone is different I guess. You should really go and see your GP if it's not agreeing with you.

Take care. x

huggles

My doctor has now given me the SR metformin.. i started taking it today so will see how it goes..
Thank your for all your advice people
xx

Angela09

Dislikes
Oh, where to start! Am a grumpy old woman!
That's good. I hope it improves things for you, having a poorly tum can be somewhat inconvenient!

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
I was on metformin to start and as someone with ibs thought meh its just the usual dose of the runs. it eas horrific lol. Now on Gliclizide and actos and no side effects so far and tablets are tiny :D plenty drugs before needles. Hope your going to be fine on the Sr metformin though.

huggles

Me again.. SR metformin was going well untill yesterday the doctor asked me to go into 2 a day.. 1 in the morning as normal and now one in the evening... did that lastnite with my dinner and guess what.. the diorea is back.. grrr this is getting on my nerves now.
Can anyone help? is my body refusing the metformin.. i have lost over a stone since ive been on it..
I will ring doc 2mmrow but i just wondered if anyone had any hints?

chrissieworne

Hi Huggles
I had the same probs as you with Met and even when I went on to the slow release form my body just could not cope with it. I had chronic gut pain and watery runs!! It actually worsened in time not improved nice ! Once I came off them I felt so much better I realised just how badly they had affected me.

I am trying again to control by diet and if not good enough progress my DN is going to try Glicazide instead. Some bods on here hate the stuff and I have been advised about Pancreas burn out and other horrors but think just have to try things and hope for the best.

I hope you get sorted out, this is all very stressful I know and some days you just want the whole thing to go away.

Take care

Chrissie

nana_lil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You need to look at your diet..........I am no expert on this but was told by my nurse that carbs with metformin = dose of the runs!

Lil
xx

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hello Lil

How interesting to hear what your nurse said about metformin + carbs = dose of the runs. It almost emphasises that it would be more logical to low-carb – if you don’t want the runs that is! :)

nana_lil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Synonym

Yep I think you are right ......I also should have said that metformin + carbs doesnt give everyone the runs....but it does me! :oops:

Lil
xx

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
I am interested as I have my next hospital appointment in 10 days and have been trying to get my bg levels under control by cutting carbs in order to avoid going on to metformin. I am not sure that I will manage it but we shall see. :)

Dobbs

If slow release Metformin (SR) is generally better tolerated than ordinary Metformin, why don't all doctors prescribe it (I wonder?) Is it really so much more expensive?

Wendyanne

Dislikes
Not being able to eat milk chocolate any more
I've just started taking Metformin since last Friday.One 500mg twice a day,before breakfast and then one before my evening meal.I started having the sick feeling on Saturday afternoon which I can put up with,but then on Sunday afternoon started having servere stomache pains then really bad diarreah :shock:

That cleared up then last night when in bed had to get up and rush to the toilet where I had a vomiting episode.Today I feel a bit weak and am going to our surgery this morning to see if I can get something sorted as I can't carry on like this,unless of course it gets better with time :?:

I have weighed myself this morning and still the same weight but since taking Metformin have lost 2.5lb which altogether is 16.5lb since Nov09 :)

I suffer with PCOS so find it quiet hard to lose weight and am pleased with the weight loss so far.I wasn't sure whether it is the meds I am taking or something I have eaten so will see what the nurse has to say.

I think in the end i will have to get one of those meter thngies to check my glucose levels as all i was told was the bog standard advice about a low GI diet etc,but haven't a clue how my sugar levels are coping at the moment.

Thanks for listening and will let you know how I get on :)