Metformin

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
I have been on Metformin for 6 days (still only 1 tablet) and I have stomach cramps, nausea, loss of appetite, swollen ankles and bs in double figures and this tablet is meant to be helping me, feel like giving up!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, with all of those problems I would feel like giving up also. Metformin is not compulsory.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you swapped to the SR one yet?

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes, with all of those problems I would feel like giving up also. Metformin is not compulsory.

I have an appointment next week to see the DN, I don’t want her to say that I haven’t given it a fair go, also I am scared to go it alone with no meds.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have been on Metformin for 6 days (still only 1 tablet) and I have stomach cramps, nausea, loss of appetite, swollen ankles and bs in double figures and this tablet is meant to be helping me, feel like giving up!

I forgot the fuzzy constant headache as well!

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
I forgot the fuzzy constant headache as well!
I think you are right to persist with it. Most of us have the symptoms you describe to a greater or lesser degree when we start taking metformin. You may find that the SR suits you better, if things don't settle down.

Reactions: Hammer1964

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A low carb diet is much more effective than Metformin in lowering blood glucose. Best to get a blood glucose meter and test which foods spike your blood glucose, then avoid these foods.

Many people cannot tolerate metformin and just use a low carb diet instead.

Reactions: grante

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I have been on Metformin for 6 days (still only 1 tablet)

I have read several different views about Metformin and I can only say that we react differently because we are different. It would seem that one is started on a low dose because of the side effects, the intention would be to increase the dose in the hope that your tolerance would improve with time. I have read on this forum that Metformin doesn't have much effect until one is taking as much as 4 X 500mg per day, the dose I was on.

I have had many problems over the last 20 years, when I refused to take it in 2002, the drug I was then given had an even worse effect on my health and life, even affecting my liver function, which was why I was taken off Rosiglitazone (now withdrawn). I recently stopped again because of the dreadful diarrhea, which isn't compatible with plane journeys and being in foreign parts. I'm using my FS Libre and the one difference I've noted is that so long as I avoid carbs completely I can keep my BG to normal levels, as soon as I cheat with just one slice of bread or a sprinkle of crystallized ginger in my yoghurt, my BG goes mental and can take several hours to come down again.

One interesting thing is that my insulin resistance is less now (having stopped Metformin) than it was last January (private blood tests) which may be down to my attempts at a very low calorie diet, similar to Newcastle, obviously somewhat successful.

I can't suggest anything, I've obviously persevered over the years, but there comes a point when it's intolerable and we have to decided ourselves what to do.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A low carb diet is much more effective than Metformin in lowering blood glucose. Best to get a blood glucose meter and test which foods spike your blood glucose, then avoid these foods.

Many people cannot tolerate metformin and just use a low carb diet instead.

I have a blood meter, that is how I know my bs are in double figures, I am on a lclf diet. I have been on Gliclazide since April and have brought my HbA1c from 78 down to 37. I already know what foods spike me and avoid them.