Metformin

Gavinaroberts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Anyone feel bloated, have an upset stomach and feel tired and very weak after starting on Metformin? Had a week and a half of this now and it's getting me down.

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I couldn't tolerate gave up after a week of very severe diarrhoea. You could try the slow release version.
Go back to your GP, there are plenty of other drugs available.
Take care

Reactions: ickihun

Gavinaroberts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I couldn't tolerate gave up after a week of very severe diarrhoea. You could try the slow release version.
Go back to your GP, there are plenty of other drugs available.
Take care
Thanks. Am on day 1 of the slow release version. Felt ok till I ate a meal and within an hour completely drained of energy and upset stomach again. :-(

Reactions: Kittycat_7_

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was fine on regular metformin until I got to three tablets a day, so asked to switch to the slow release. The only issue with that is now I have gone the other way and feel blocked up and have to resort to fibogel every once in a while.

Reactions: Gavinaroberts

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
After I mentioned to my physician that Metformin was making me ✻windy✻ ..I was ℞'d 0.2 ml Peppermint Oil capsules.

Apart from that ..Metformin has suited me very nicely over 11+ years.

Returning to the matter raised by the ✻OP✻ ..it might be productive to talk to a pharmacist about this matter ASAP ..as well as arrange an appointment with your physician to resolve the matter.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I get bouts of this even after 20yrs of taking metformin.

I stop the med then reintroduce one tablet for a week, then 2 tablets for a week and see how my symptoms are. Then increase eventually to 4tablets daily until I can tolerate it.

Only long-term use gives me the hormonal benefit I get from metformin. Which I need. Diabetes is just another health problem that benefits from metformin to me.

I use metformin for pcos and weight loss.

Reactions: dbr10 and RFSMarch

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I had really bad bloating and indigestion when on the regular Metformin changed to the SR and did not have that problem anymore but the SR took my appetite away until I was hardly eating anything and loosing weight I did not need to. My doctor told me to decreased the dose until I was eating properly again I now take one 500g SR tablet a day and have never had any problems with diarrhoea or constipation

Reactions: jwd1

jwd1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I had really bad bloating and indigestion when on the regular Metformin changed to the SR and did not have that problem anymore but the SR took my appetite away until I was hardly eating anything and loosing weight I did not need to. My doctor told me to decreased the dose until I was eating properly again I now take one 500g SR tablet a day and have never had any problems with diarrhoea or constipation
I had exactly the same situation and have reduced from 3 x 500 to 1 x 500 per day, although readings have shot up after a few minor indescretions over Christmas, which tells me how fickle my system is. So have to get back to <30 carbs/day having been >50 carbs/day for almost a week now. Over 30 carbs a day seems to push up my BG readings.