metformin

mumdad43

is there an alternative to metformin? I've been told no. I'm type 2. on metformin and other meds then put on metformin slow release as couldn't tolerate other metformin. I'm sitting here now with very painful tum. just had runs and pain no better. gets in way of a lot of things esp after meals that my tum reacts badly. any advise welcome thank you

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was lucky in that stopping Metformin due to the really nasty consequences had no discernible effect on me - other than for all the side effects to start to fade - though I should have saved my hair when it started to fall out.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There are other drugs, but they cost a lot more than metformin and don't reduce insulin resistance. So if it does not improve within a week or so, book a double appointment with your GP to discuss all options. (SGLT2 inhibitors come to mind as an option the MAY be worth considering with your GP.)

So that is what the GP can do for you, now what can you do for your self.......

Take the Metformin with food, experimenting to see if the type of food reduces the side effect, start with a very low does, and increase the dose slowly.

We can also control our own BG by not eating or drinking any sugar, and minimise the carbs we eat, as all carbs turn into blood sugar. If you have not considered a low carb diet, now may be the time to do so.

Reactions: dbr10