Metformin

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi folks

Managed to get my hba1c down from 90 to 63 since going on a pump however I gained over 2 stone in the process, I’ve managed to lose a stone but not happy about the increase as I was obese to start with! Consultant wants me to try metformin again to help with any insulin resistance I probably have due to my weight and said it may help me loose some too.

I had awful side effects last time so wary of trying again just wondered if anyone else was taking metformin for similar reasons and whether it helped keep the weight off or at least stalled it

Reactions: gto19660

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I had awful side effects last time so wary of trying again

Did you try the slow release version?

I was on a metformin double blind trial 4 years ago and think it may have helped a bit (like you I have issues with insulin resistance and weight loss). Unfortunately I never managed to find out whether I was in the metformin or placebo group. Otherwise, low carb prevents weight gain but hasn't done much as regards loss.... (I need to give up cheese and alcohol, I fear.)

Good luck.

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes I’m in the slow release version I couldn’t tolerate those last time either though. Low carb is defo the way to go and that’s what’s help me lose the stone so far just hope I can tolerate the tablet this time around

gto19660

Hi folks

Managed to get my hba1c down from 90 to 63 since going on a pump however I gained over 2 stone in the process, I’ve managed to lose a stone but not happy about the increase as I was obese to start with! Consultant wants me to try metformin again to help with any insulin resistance I probably have due to my weight and said it may help me loose some too.

I had awful side effects last time so wary of trying again just wondered if anyone else was taking metformin for similar reasons and whether it helped keep the weight off or at least stalled it
Hi I was just reading your reluctance about metformin and I've been taking metformin for years. It is the safest insulin resistant drug out there and once you get the dose
Set right it will help you. However it is not a weight loss drug, but holding down weight is a benefit.