1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Metformin

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Nometype1andproud, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Nometype1andproud

Nometype1andproud Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi folks

Managed to get my hba1c down from 90 to 63 since going on a pump however I gained over 2 stone in the process, I’ve managed to lose a stone but not happy about the increase as I was obese to start with! Consultant wants me to try metformin again to help with any insulin resistance I probably have due to my weight and said it may help me loose some too.

I had awful side effects last time so wary of trying again just wondered if anyone else was taking metformin for similar reasons and whether it helped keep the weight off or at least stalled it

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Did you try the slow release version?

I was on a metformin double blind trial 4 years ago and think it may have helped a bit (like you I have issues with insulin resistance and weight loss). Unfortunately I never managed to find out whether I was in the metformin or placebo group. Otherwise, low carb prevents weight gain but hasn't done much as regards loss.... (I need to give up cheese and alcohol, I fear.)

Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Nometype1andproud

Nometype1andproud Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes I’m in the slow release version I couldn’t tolerate those last time either though. Low carb is defo the way to go and that’s what’s help me lose the stone so far just hope I can tolerate the tablet this time around

4. gto19660

gto19660 · Member

Hi I was just reading your reluctance about metformin and I've been taking metformin for years. It is the safest insulin resistant drug out there and once you get the dose
    Set right it will help you. However it is not a weight loss drug, but holding down weight is a benefit.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook