Metformin

AnnM99

Hi,
Is it possible that metformin can cause a dry mouth in the night? I only take 1 x slow 500 slow release as hba1c is 39. I have stopped taking it at night and now take in the morning and no more dry mouth. Is this coincidental?

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi,
Is it possible that metformin can cause a dry mouth in the night? I only take 1 x slow 500 slow release as hba1c is 39. I have stopped taking it at night and now take in the morning and no more dry mouth. Is this coincidental?

Googling suggests it as a possibility

Certain medications used for diabetes can cause dry mouth, including Metformin. ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) inhibitors, which are used to treat hypertension and diabetes, can cause dry mouth

• Informative
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi AnnM99. I am not qualified to answer your question (I'm certainly not a GP), but I've been taking metformin (various assorted brands & various strengths) for many, many years. I now take 2 x 500g every day (morning & night). However I sometimes experience dry mouth but mostly, not. In fact, I've never had any trouble with metformin - unlike some other drugs. My HbA1c is 59 in SI units or 7.6 as a fraction & goes down to 51 or 6.6. Accordingly my conclusion is that while it could be metformin (for you), or untreated diabetes (as EllieM has said), it could also be lots of other things. In my case it could be my CPAP machine and escaping air, or the environment, or who knows what else. Whatever it is, it is quite rare for me. Therefore, my point here is don't jump to any conclusion too quickly and certainly don't stop taking your prescribed medication/s too early (not that you are doing that). Cheers, DB1.

• Informative

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AnnM99
Have you checked the list of possible side effects on the leaflet that comes in the packet

I've not taken metformin now for several years, but I don't recall ever having a dry mouth with it.