Metformin

AnnM99

Hi
I'm down to 1 x 500 metformin a day.
When is the best time to take this, never been told. After breakfast or after dinner? Will taking at a particular time help hba1c? Thanks.

• Winner
Reactions: Pipp

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I never took mine at ant particular time but always ensured I took it with food that is either with breakfast, lunch or dinner times.

Reactions: AnnM99

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
When is the best time to take this, never been told. After breakfast or after dinner? Will taking at a particular time help hba1c? Thanks.
I think it doesn’t really matter which meal, just take it around the same time each day.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's actually taking it with your meal(s) that's important. I'm no longer taking it, but I was advised to take mine with my evening meal.

Reactions: EllieM

MaryInMN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I usually take one (X1000mg) early in the day, but have to wait until I have some food in me, otherwise it may make me somewhat nauseous. I take another usually before bed (x1000Mg). I do try to take them approximately 12 hours apart, but don't worry too much if they vary with time apart. Have been on them for at least 20 years with no problems, knock on wood!
Everyone's experience is different, though. My brother was prescribed the same meds (Azathioprine) as me once. I had been on it about 10 years with out a problem. He took one pill and ended up with acute pancreatitis, so go figure. Everyone different.

EBe66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would suggest about half an hour before dinner. There are "normal" metformin tablets and time-released. Assuming you use the normal ones, they don't work for 24 hours. According to the Netherlands medical database the maximum effect is reached after about 2,5 hours and the half-time (correct word?) is about 6,5 hours. So it stands to reason that if you take your tablet with your breakfast it will not be active much if at all by the time you eat your biggest meal of the day. Assuming that will be dinner.
The timing around the meal is another discussion. When I started with metformin I had the doctor saying with my meals, the pharmacy said after meals and the included description said before my meals. I tend to go with what the manufacturer says.
I take 1x500mg in the morning and 2x500mg before dinner with omad.

Reactions: LokiTheFiddler

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest about half an hour before dinner. There are "normal" metformin tablets and time-released. Assuming you use the normal ones, they don't work for 24 hours. According to the Netherlands medical database the maximum effect is reached after about 2,5 hours and the half-time (correct word?) is about 6,5 hours. So it stands to reason that if you take your tablet with your breakfast it will not be active much if at all by the time you eat your biggest meal of the day. Assuming that will be dinner.
The timing around the meal is another discussion. When I started with metformin I had the doctor saying with my meals, the pharmacy said after meals and the included description said before my meals. I tend to go with what the manufacturer says.
I take 1x500mg in the morning and 2x500mg before dinner with omad.
Metformin doesn’t particularly work to counteract the glucose in your meals so in that sense timing is irrelevant. Just take it roughly the same time each day. It works mostly by limiting how my glucose the liver dumps into the blood. The reason it is advised to be taken with food (just before or after) is that doing so limits digestive side effects.

• Agree
Reactions: Robbity

justcallmejoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i been taking metformin for 12 months and ever since taking it i have had a rash on back of my neck, i tried steroids and medicated shampoo but it does not help. also no spots on top oof my head. anyone experienced this from metformin?

Tombarkas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
If it doesn’t say any particular time on the label, it’s presumably not important

GBH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was taking 1 x 500g Metformin twice daily up to two or three years ago. After I changed to 1 x 500g with dinner, my HbA1c seems to have increased markedly. My diabetic nurse is reluctant to increase the dose because I show signs of kidney problems. My wife has cut out biscuits with tea. I don't know if that's enough because I am no longer prescribed test strips.

Matt_Vincent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
IF any scientific research has been done on this subject it will have been done by the original licence holder & should have made its way into the leaflet which comes with the tablets. Who reads these? I would be wary of what my GP or pharmacist advises as I suspect they don't read them either.
Most types of tablets are best taken with food rather than on an empty stomach in my experience.
I am taking Sukkarto (the slow-release Metformin) as I had issues taking the normal ones. The advice (not easy to find!) in the leaflet says to take them with evening meal.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was taking 1 x 500g Metformin twice daily up to two or three years ago. After I changed to 1 x 500g with dinner, my HbA1c seems to have increased markedly. My diabetic nurse is reluctant to increase the dose because I show signs of kidney problems. My wife has cut out biscuits with tea. I don't know if that's enough because I am no longer prescribed test strips.
Maybe put the money saved by not buying biscuits into some test strips?
Money very well spent in my opinion.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i been taking metformin for 12 months and ever since taking it i have had a rash on back of my neck, i tried steroids and medicated shampoo but it does not help. also no spots on top oof my head. anyone experienced this from metformin?
I think that is a contra indication - from what I recall of the information which came in the box - something to alert your GP or nurse about as you should be getting a review soon, at one year.

oneateleven

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could you experiment with the time you take it and just keep a note of any impact on both BG and side effects?

Lesley's

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Been taking Metformin now for 5 days and spent most of last night in bathroom with tummy upset does this settle after time tia

Reactions: lorib64