Metformin

kat1994

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone. Does anyone else experience feelings of nausea after eating and taking meds? I can’t decipher if it’s the Metformin or gliclazide… I have been on these meds for 5 weeks now and haven’t had any issues other than some initial stomach upset but the nausea has started over the past couple of days. It could be unrelated but wondered if anyone has felt the same with taking these meds? Metformin 500mg x 2 and Gliclazide 40mg x 2 per day

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
H @kat1994
Yes, from what people post in this and other forums, quite a few people do. Extended Release Metformin is reported to give less problems than the normal one. I have no personal experience (either good or bad) since I decided to go the Low Carb route rather than taking diabetes medications.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I took extended-release tablets for a couple of weeks. They didn't cause any nausea or diarrhoea, but I became very flatulent and bloated. I wasn't given the option of trying to change my diet by the GP, but decided to anyway. I was glad not having to swallow those massive tablets as well.

Reactions: kat1994

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Initially, my type 2 diabetes was treated with 80 mgs gliclazide at breakfast. I suffered no gastrointestinal disturbances. As my health improved with LCHF, I managed to halve the dose to 40 mgs. Eventually, I weaned myself off gliclazide altogether by reducing my carbohydrate consumption further.

When first prescribed 2 x 500 mgs metformin, I experienced some nausea following my evening dose. The nausea returned briefly when the dose was raised to 3 x 500 mgs and when maxed out on 4 x 500 mgs, I experienced nausea once more following my evening dose.