Metformin

barb1

I had just been started on Metformin as my HbA1c had gone up to 59 (which is 7.55 in old money). The doc said that the tablets could give me diarrhoea. Nice!! I've also read somewhere that it can help with weight loss. I have taken one so far and I feel OK. I am sure the weight loss would only be if I were actually following a diet.

What are other people's experiences with this medication just out of interest?

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I've been on Metformin since August this year. I've had no problems with it at all, no tummy issues. I'm also following a LCHF diet and have found that cutting out carbs has alleviated other gastric issues I had - before the diet I was always hungry no matter what I ate, it was like my tummy was never quiet or settled and I always felt overfull and bloated. Now I'm not hungry so am able to eat a lot less than before and I'm not grazing all day. I also drink less fluids so not running to the loo ever hour or so and sleeping through the night for the first time in years.

Not sure if it's the Metformin which is suppressing my appetite or whether it's the LCHF diet, but something has changed a great deal. I've only lost about 6lb altogether but am pleased with it as I haven't been able to do any exercise at all apart from the odd walk round the supermarket. Today I started swimming again for the first time in about 6 weeks and felt the difference in my energy levels.

I just wish I could eat without feeling like I've eaten a three course meal and need to sleep for two hours after a meal. The way my digestion is there is no way I could exercise after a meal as I hear others tend to do and that really annoys me. :(

Claremooney

I have just started it today and I too was told there could be side effects. Hope not, but wouldn't mind another few pounds off or if if stops me feeling hungry.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Claremooney said:
I have just started it today and I too was told there could be side effects. Hope not, but wouldn't mind another few pounds off or if if stops me feeling hungry.

Just make sure you take it with or straight after your main meal, never take it on an empty stomach or before meals. I think that's when it might cause diaorrhoea in some people.

I've honestly not felt at all hungry between meals since I started on Metformin and the LCHF diet - and that's a first for me. Before that I was constantly hungry and after one meal I'd be wondering what to have as a snack before my next meal. That's all changed now. In fact, I can go for hours without thinking about food at all and even when a meal is due I sometimes don't feel like it. It's a big psychological change for me, because my stomach seemed to dictate my life before and I'm not used to not thinking about food all the time. It's quite weird.

KennyS

GraceK said:
I've honestly not felt at all hungry between meals since I started on Metformin and the LCHF diet - and that's a first for me. Before that I was constantly hungry and after one meal I'd be wondering what to have as a snack before my next meal. That's all changed now.

I'm not taking the metformin but I can tell you Grace, my entire world is turned around since I swore off grains, sugars and starches. It is essentially a low carb diet and I no longer have cravings... I no longer NEED snacks. Sometimes I have to have a snack of walnuts or some such just to keep my calories up. I think that the yoyo of the sugar rush and crash has been my problem all along and no more fatigue either. :D

Kenny :wave:

Defren

barb1 said:
I had just been started on Metformin as my HbA1c had gone up to 59 (which is 7.55 in old money). The doc said that the tablets could give me diarrhoea. Nice!! I've also read somewhere that it can help with weight loss. I have taken one so far and I feel OK. I am sure the weight loss would only be if I were actually following a diet.

What are other people's experiences with this medication just out of interest?

I read something recently, I can't remember where, that Metformin used to be used as a diet drug. When I first started on it my appetite was decimated, I was on 600 calories a day or less, not good! I am fine now, and have never had a problem with Metformin. My appetite is quite small though, I want to have 1,500 calories a day, but always struggle and often fail to real my own personal target.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
KennyS said:
GraceK said:
I've honestly not felt at all hungry between meals since I started on Metformin and the LCHF diet - and that's a first for me. Before that I was constantly hungry and after one meal I'd be wondering what to have as a snack before my next meal. That's all changed now.

I'm not taking the metformin but I can tell you Grace, my entire world is turned around since I swore off grains, sugars and starches. It is essentially a low carb diet and I no longer have cravings... I no longer NEED snacks. Sometimes I have to have a snack of walnuts or some such just to keep my calories up. I think that the yoyo of the sugar rush and crash has been my problem all along and no more fatigue either. :D

Kenny :wave:

Yes, Kenny ... I think you're right ... but it just seems to be too good to be true for me. I've NEVER NOT had digestive problems since I was a small child and I'm coming up to 60 next year and suddenly I discover that cutting out grains, sugars and starches relieve all those horrible symptoms I've suffered for years and it was all so simple. I can't believe it. I'm eating what I've always WANTED to eat and I can't believe I was right all along. I just wish I'd learned this sooner. :)

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin caused me toilet issues, I decided to stop them 2 weeks ago, best decision I made for me, no issues with the toilet and no change to my BG levels, I am doing LCHF diet and I still do not feel hungry inbetween meals and do not snack that often at all. Maybe there is a slight placebo effects attached to it for some people.(I know it has real effects too).

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I had my first appointment with the DN in August about a week or so after the GP diagnosed me and started me on meds. I didn't have any blood tests done then. My second appointment with the DN is in November. Should I be having a HbA1c test done then? I notice everyone else seems to be having these done regularly, so I'm wondering if that's the normal routine. Do you have an HbA1c each time you see the DN? And is 3 monthly about the usual span? :think:

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
GraceK said:
I had my first appointment with the DN in August about a week or so after the GP diagnosed me and started me on meds. I didn't have any blood tests done then. My second appointment with the DN is in November. Should I be having a HbA1c test done then? I notice everyone else seems to be having these done regularly, so I'm wondering if that's the normal routine. Do you have an HbA1c each time you see the DN? And is 3 monthly about the usual span? :think:

I am not sure, I have had 2 , one at diagnoses and 1 3 months later,I am having another 3 months again, but this was to decided if I wanted to come of meds, which have already done anyway. :D

welsh_kev

Im about 4 weeks into taking metformin following diagnosis. I take 3 x 500mg.
I am following a very low carb diet. Eating protein and veg.
I can honestly say its transformed how i am. Before, i could snack for britain..now i eat like a bird anx dont feel the need to snack.
As a plus, ive lost a stone in weight so far..
Stick with it, its so worth it

Kev

Kimton61

Hi I'm about 2 months into metformin. I take 3 tablets a day. The only problems that I've found occurs if I take them too close together, then I do get terrible diahorrea .

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you do suffer diarrhoea then ask your GP to change you over to Metformin SR, the Slow release version. GPs often don't like prescribing it as it costs a bit more (or they just don't think or care)