Metformin

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think I am going in the right direction with my BS around 5.3 now, I don't want to get ahead of myself but does anyone have any experience on when the doc might take of the metformin 500mg and the Gliclazide 40mg ,what sort of pattern and for how long do they generally take us of meds. Anyone got any experience with this?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Many GPs just keep the meds going 'forever' just in case. I think you need to make the decision yourself based on your HBa1c and 2 hour post meal tests and then ask the GP to remove one or both. Metformin is very safe and just has small effect; it also has some heart protective properties. Glic is only needed if your pancreas is beginning for fail, but 40mg is the lowest dose; I was on 320mg for years!

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Many GPs just keep the meds going 'forever' just in case. I think you need to make the decision yourself based on your HBa1c and 2 hour post meal tests and then ask the GP to remove one or both. Metformin is very safe and just has small effect; it also has some heart protective properties. Glic is only needed if your pancreas is beginning for fail, but 40mg is the lowest dose; I was on 320mg for years!

Daibell , thanks for a great reply.