Metiforman

Joy05

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi , I've been on metiforman for 4 weeks now , gradually increasing from 500 mg a day up to 2000 . No side affects really, well I didn't think so , started the 2000 a day Friday and have had the most awful stomach cramps since yesterday . I also haven't been to the toilet since Monday . Is this normal ? Or could it be something else ? Im going to take a senakot tablet later to see if that helps . Also since Friday I haven't eaten well at all , daughter in law had her baby wso spent a lot of time at hospital and a couple of takeaways and snacks I know I shouldn't
have had. I'm not sure if I should contact my doctor or not ? Any advice please x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Metformin gives many people bowel problems; these usually fade after a few weeks. The Slow release (SR) version avoids this so do ask for it if the problem doesn't clear.

Barry05

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fifteen months ago I was weaned onto a higher dose of metformin, from 500mg to 2000mg per day over the course of a four week period just the same as you. I found it gave me diarrhea and a lot of farting for a while. Then after a short while it all settled down so i reckon leave it a bit longer and then you'll feel a lot better. That excitement of becoming a grandmother could well easy put your stomach out of alignment especially as you're not fully adapted to the metformin yet.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Give it a week or two to see if it settles down and if not ask for the SR Metformin to see if it helps.