Mid-afternoon hypos

evilcat

Hi all,

I was diagnosed T2 a couple of months ago and am on Met and Glic.

I'm following a reduced carb diet as I've found my body can't tolerate any carbs until the evening, when I can have a small portion of rice/pasta/potatoes etc.

Since I started the Glic however, I've been having hypos almost every day, mid-afternoon time. I raised it with the doctor and she reduced my morning Glic from 80mg to 40mg, but that doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Initially I thought I was having reactive hypos (due to carbs at breakfast) but even if I have zero carbs, I still have the same problem.

If you've had a similar issue, I'd be grateful for any advice on how best to manage things.

Many thanks :)

smeatons

Do you take your Glic in the morning?
If you do it might be worth asking the doctor about moving it to before the evening meal.

I used to go low around 5pm when taking Glic in the morning, but my ptr-breafast readings where always around 7-9. Switching to taking it in the evening has stopped the 5pm hypos and my breakfast readings are now "normal".

regards,
David

evilcat

Hi David,

Many thanks for your response. At the moment I take 40mg of Glic in the morning and then 80mg in the evening. I'll speak to the doctor to see if I can take the whole dose in the evening to see if that helps.

Regards,

Caroline

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Are you taking it before you meals as my doc advised me to take mine 30 min before any meal
seems to work for me

Gliclazide well absorbed and its half-life in man is approximately 10 - 12 hours. Gliclazide

Ref:http://medweb.bham.ac.uk/easdec/prevention/HBA1c & type 2 diabetes.htm
Dose: initially, 40-80 mg daily, adjusted according to response; up to 160 mg as a single dose, with breakfast; higher doses divided; max. 320 mg daily. Ideally gliclazide is taken 30 minutes before a meal.

evilcat

Hi Bowell,

Many thanks for your comment. Yes, I too was advised to take it 30 mins before eating. I do sometimes forget though and it can be as late as 10 mins beforehand.

I'll try being stricter with myself and see if leaving a proper gap makes a difference...