Mid morning blood sugar drop...?

eg56

Hi -

I regularly get a drop in my levels at mid morning (11 or 11.30). Initially I had thought this was down to my Levemir injection but having moved this later I have discovered that it isn't.

It comes well over 2 hours after my breakfast Humalog, and approximately 12 hours after my evening Levermir. (My second Levemir shot is given at 1pm).

Anyone else experience a drop for seemingly no reason?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Used to get this when on mdi, without anything working other than having to either have less qa at breakfast and being higher than id like 2 hours after but returning to normal before lunch or have a low carb snack to cover the inevitable drop which I often didn't want.

Simply because my basal requirements were less late morning to early evening than the rest of the day, but couldn't change my basal as I needed it for overnight and breakfast time.

now on a pump I have increased my bolus for breakfast to have a normal reading 2 hours after but reduced my basal on my pump from 10am to 2pm to stop the lows and works a treat.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a similar issue, but in the late afternoon. I finish work at 4 and test before getting in the car. This is usually my highest reading of the day at 8-10 and that's four hours after lunch. But by the time I collect my dog and get home an hour later I've dropped to usually around 5.5 - 6. Not low readings, they're ideal infact. But I don't know what is making them drop. I take my BI at 6pm. I can only assume its the stimulation of driving as there is no physical activity involved! It makes me wary of getting in the car with BG below 8, but I don't like being as high as 8. Catch 22!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I need a snack mid morning. I attribute it to my dawn phenomenon wearing off. What do you eat for breakfast? Could be the GI index of what your eating. Or, like Brett said, you could have a varying requirement of basal insulin.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I need a snack mid morning.

Thats the thing though, what if you just dont want a snack?! this is the time when diabetes gets on my nerves, sometimes im just not hungry but im too low to drive/go to bed/walk to the dog and so need to snack first :problem:

kangoo

SamJB said:
Fortunately, I can eat at any time!

I'm the same, someone at work said I must be half labrador :D

I get a big dip in blood sugar most days between 2pm and 6pm. Still trying to work with split Levemir doses but meant to be moving on to a pump in the summer.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can eat haribo at any time but sadly they're off the menu these days!

I don't really have the option of splitting my levemir as I only take 3 units per day!

iHs

brett said:
Used to get this when on mdi, without anything working other than having to either have less qa at breakfast and being higher than id like 2 hours after but returning to normal before lunch or have a low carb snack to cover the inevitable drop which I often didn't want.

Simply because my basal requirements were less late morning to early evening than the rest of the day, but couldn't change my basal as I needed it for overnight and breakfast time.

now on a pump I have increased my bolus for breakfast to have a normal reading 2 hours after but reduced my basal on my pump from 10am to 2pm to stop the lows and works a treat.

Just being curious here Brett but did you do a fasting morning basal test first to determine your hourly basal rates covering the morning time period and discovered that you needed less basal mid morning during the fast, or have you just decided to alter the basal rate accoridng to how you want it to perform in the pump in order to make your bg levels be at a certain level mid morning?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi ihs, good question. I did do fasting tests for night, morning, afternoon and evening on mdi. Often had to abandon the breakfast one, needing to correct a hypo before lunch time. Tried reducing basal to stop this and was high in the morning. Still tweaking new basal rates on pump but at the moment having 1 unit an hour early morning (5~8 am )of basal and then dropping hourly to 0.15 units an hour by lunch time. Then gradually increasing to 0.57 units an hour by bed. waking at 5~6 In the morning and under 8 all day with the odd blip as always. Will be doing the basals tests soon to fine tune. As you can see, this would of been impossible on mdi with such varying basal requirements. Also when busy simply reduce basal to 50%.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Recently did midday fasting tests with my pump ratios and great results. Test was from 12 midday~6pm having had breakfast at 7.30 am. started at 4.9 so thought within an hour test would have to be abandoned. But, carried on testing on the hour 4.8 in the second hour and steadily rising to 5.8 half way and a steady drop to 5.4 so was very pleased with that. That was having 0.15 units an hour during that time. during the hours of 4~7am I am having 0.7~1 unit an hour and waking between 5 and 6mmol. So this would of been impossible on mdi as the tests show.