Milk and Type 1

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So milk has now been associated with Type 1 Diabetes due to Paratuberculosis (which is present in farmed cows). Pasturisation doesn't stop it 100%
The reason we are never shown this information?
because it would panic the public and they wouldn't make as much money selling milk any more.
Video is here

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Brit90 This theory has been around for a few years, it's one of many 'possible' reasons contributing to the cause of type 1. I tend to take these things with a pinch of salt, until proven without a doubt we cannot make assumptions ;)

alhubb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Shown this information? What are you expecting? A presentation of all the medical research papers published each week? The literature is out there in the public domain. The reason you're not told about this is there is not direct proof that MAP causes type 1, but just there is a possible link. Until there is conclusive proof, no one is going to tell people not to eat/drink something

Reactions: busydiabeticmum

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So milk has now been associated with Type 1 Diabetes due to Paratuberculosis (which is present in farmed cows). Pasturisation doesn't stop it 100%
because it would panic the public and they wouldn't make as much money selling milk any more.
Video is here
Milk has in recently years been attributed to the "possible" development of T1D. It is however, currently, just a theory.

All that is assumed is that cow's milk may be a catalyst in triggering T1D. It doesn't paint the whole picture though, as there are various other unknown variables that we don't understand. There is also a heavy genetic prerequisite for T1D. Cow's milk is just a tiny, tiny part of many possible triggers for the disease.

As it stands, I'll still be putting it in my coffee and on my cereal:)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate to say it, but I think it might be a bit too late for you to worry about getting type 1 diabetes....
If only I'd known the cows had it in for me three years ago!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I heard the trigger for type 1 was :
Stunning good looks
Body of Adonis
Heart of gold
Charisma and
A contagious sense of humour.

Somewhat like the milk theory.................... it might not be correct. I haven't got a sense of humour so there goes my theory.:p:p:p

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
T
Video is here
They also believed it caused crohns disease.... very much doubt it. However milk raises my Bgl I had to cut it out... the north Africans drink gallons of milk and have only come across one diabetic (type 1 due to shock not diet)!

Steve14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried several dietary modifications following the first year after my diagnosis. My sugar was lingering around 18-19 (27 without insulin) and I was happy to have it between 14 or 15 on some days. After cutting out milk (cold turkey), I started to see numbers below 10, and my A1C went from 13 to 7.3. Note that I still over-eat and replaced milk with other carbs.

So that was the good news. The bad news is that...well, I'm still here and I still stab myself daily, so giving up milk wasn't a cure, but it cut my numbers in HALF. I can wake up to 5-7 and peak at 12, but note that I eat 200+ g of carbs daily and I'm not a body builder nor an athlete. I also have psoriasis, and had it before becoming diabetic. Some years ago I gave gluten free a try, and my face cleared up and had more energy all day. Then depression struck me, and went back to eating **** food. There's not one day pass by asking myself how could I have been so stupid? It may or may not have triggered the autoimmune conditions I have today, but my experience with milk and gluten tells me that they likely did.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried several dietary modifications following the first year after my diagnosis. My sugar was lingering around 18-19 (27 without insulin) and I was happy to have it between 14 or 15 on some days. After cutting out milk (cold turkey), I started to see numbers below 10, and my A1C went from 13 to 7.3. Note that I still over-eat and replaced milk with other carbs.

So that was the good news. The bad news is that...well, I'm still here and I still stab myself daily, so giving up milk wasn't a cure, but it cut my numbers in HALF. I can wake up to 5-7 and peak at 12, but note that I eat 200+ g of carbs daily and I'm not a body builder nor an athlete. I also have psoriasis, and had it before becoming diabetic. Some years ago I gave gluten free a try, and my face cleared up and had more energy all day. Then depression struck me, and went back to eating **** food. There's not one day pass by asking myself how could I have been so stupid? It may or may not have triggered the autoimmune conditions I have today, but my experience with milk and gluten tells me that they likely did.
Milk is sugar! Cows milk is designed for baby cows... to make them grow! The sugars inside help cows , their guts and growth! If this is their design then by drinking cows milk we are trying to be cows (or calf's trying to grow up quickly), human milk is very different, it has sugars found nowhere else and has been discovered to feed a specific bacteria that live in our intestine (we do not absorb it or digest it)! Human milk is also unique to the mother and the time of day as well as what she ate (flavour wise), and drinking it is the same as getting a blood transfusion! So if this is the difference between the milk just imagine drinking cows milk is similar to getting a blood transfusion from the cow! Is it beneficial? Probably not.
As for carbs to get my bgl back down I really had to cut out all carbs and sugars as well as reduce protein. Everyone is different and our bodies work differently (why milk is so unique) we have different needs at different times of day, we should listen to our bodies... If going gluten free made you feel that much better, I would think about trying again. Don't let depression win!

Reactions: Deb1million