milk

red1mot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i am type 2 is milk any good is so what type eg arla os should it be avoided seems to be a difference of opinion thanks

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lactose is sugar, and milk contains lactose. You can buy lactose free milk if you like that. If not, it is reasonable to use small amounts in tea or coffee (although cream is better) but if you intend to drink it by the glass you would need to use a meter to test how your body reacts to it. Full fat milk is the best choice, followed by semi skimmed, followed by skimmed.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
On the back of the pack it says how many carbs. Do you have a meter? If so, test, drink milk, test again two hours later to see what your diabetes says.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
i am type 2 is milk any good is so what type eg arla os should it be avoided seems to be a difference of opinion thanks

Milk will raise your BG. It's my T1 friend's preferred method of raising her BG when dangerously low.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Milk contains lactose. The skinnier the milk, the more lactose. Not good for diabetics

Using my meter shows that semi skimmed, spikes me so I have given up tea. I use cream in coffee.

Some people use soya or almond milk. I couldn't get on with the taste.

You need to test your own reaction with your meter. You may be able to tolerate it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd definitely go for the lactofree, almost half the carbs of regular, if you have to have milk. Otherwise I go for double cream myself slightly acquired taste in tea but it works ok for me.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
You're right. There's a lot of differing opinions. We're all different. I'm OK with milk as long as I account for the carb content in my meal allowance. Individuals have differing techniques with their management plans mostly based on what appears to work. Personally, I just limit my carb intake to no more than 20g per meal and may push it to 30g if low GI. I'm OK as long as I subtract the milk contribution from these numbers just like any other food. Please note that not everyone uses this method of management. Of course, full fat only.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Why full fat I thought skimmed was best

Compare the values between skimmed and full fat milks. You will not just be surprised about the carb content. Skimmed milk is popular with those who adhere to low fat foods in the diet and low fat usually means more sugar (of one kind or another).

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use alpro unsweetened soya or almond milk. They are very low in carb.

Reactions: dbr10

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I use alpro unsweetened soya or almond milk. They are very low in carb.
I use a small splash of almond milk. Soya if I can’t get any. Chilled Alpro almond milk is currently a quid a litre in Waitrose and Asda.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only reason that skimmed milk has a higher carb content is that the same amount of lactose is in slightly less milk when the fat is removed. Full fat milk is about 4.7g of carbs per 100ml, skimmed milk is 5.0g per 100ml. A cup of tea has say 30 ml of milk so the difference is 0.09g of carb between full fat and skimmed, or less than 1 g of carbs if you have 10 cups a day. If you going to have milk in your tea, it doesn't make much difference which type you have.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have given up tea, I couldn't get on with almond milk. The only way to see how milk affects you is to have some and test.

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel tolerance level of all foods is different for each individual. I have tested 2hrs. after drinking, a glass of full-fat milk and my BG levels are within limits @ 6.8.....