Milk

Anglo_dude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
GPs who say blood testing is irrelevent
Yeah porridge is off the menu for me. I went from a fasting level of 6 to 15 after a bowl of porridge... Shame as I love the stuff. :/

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
[QUOTt SunnyExpat, post: 959219, member: 200461"]@Bluetit1802
How much sugar is added to skimmed/semi skimmed milk?
What type of sugar is added?[/QUOTE]

None it is an urban myth the sugar (lactose) is already in the milk when it comes out the cow, the percentage sugar by weight increases because the weight of the fats that are removed.

Look up Lactose on the web

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
None it is an urban myth the sugar (lactose) is already in the milk when it comes out the cow, the percentage sugar by weight increases because the weight of the fats that are removed.

Look up Lactose on the web

That's good to hear.
I must admit, I prefer skimmed milk in coffee, (or black, but a bit too acidic after several cups), I'd never heard about 'added sugar' before.
It does make sense if you remove the cream, the percentage of lactose in the remaining liquid will increase.

But I guess the urban myth about low fat having to mean added sugar does the rounds sometimes.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Daphne, have you tested your BG 2, 3, and 4 hrs after porridge? It may not spike your BG so high, but still have the same effect overall. So many people have trouble with any grains, even the non-gluten ones.
When I first started eating it I tested after 1, 2 and 3 hours - I tend to do this a couple of times with every food that I 'trial' so that I can see whether my BS is going up or down.

Pipey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
[QUOTt SunnyExpat, post: 959219, member: 200461"]@Bluetit1802
How much sugar is added to skimmed/semi skimmed milk?
What type of sugar is added?

Look up Lactose on the web[/QUOTE]
Go onto Google and type in HOW MUCH SUGAR IS IN SKIMMED MILK you can do that with almost any product. You can do the same for carbs too.

It doesn't give what type of sugar, but I would think its natural

I make my porridge with water, add a couple of sweeteners and Alpro Unsweetened Almond - you can also use Blue Diamond Almond Breeze also unsweetened. There is only .1g in 100ml.

I use UHT Skimmed Milk and it has 4.9g sugar in 100ml

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah porridge is off the menu for me. I went from a fasting level of 6 to 15 after a bowl of porridge... Shame as I love the stuff. :/
I know that feeling - even tried some of the porridges that have linseed/rye/spelt in them but still no luck. One of my treats pre db was a big bowl with golden syrup!

Reactions: 2 people