Milk

Dave4jackie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is it better to drink decaf coffee black or is soya ok for type 2. Also have been given conflicting advice doctor said cut out cards diabetic dietician says I need to eat carbs which is correct.

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The doctor is right.

Many type 2 people on here are on a low carb, high fat diet and it seems to work well for them.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unsweetened Soya milk is really very low carb,the one I use is 1.0g of carbohydrate per 250ml.Just make sure it is unsweetened.Single cream is also great in coffee as it has virtually none of the sugars you will find in milk eg lactose.So both are good for low carbing.
I personally have had success low carbing as your doctor suggests.
I still find it remarkable that dieticians promote the NHS healthy plate which encourages starchy carbohydrate with every meal.Fine for everyone else but not for us diabetics who cannot process carbs or the glucose they produce.
According to my meter bread,rice,pasta and potato really don't help my BG levels.Ask your dietician about that and see what they have to say.

Reactions: 6 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doctor is definitely right! Consider the fact that carbohydrates will raise you blood glucose levels - so why inflict them unnecessarily on a diabetic body that doesn't handle them too well - something that a large percentage of NHS employees apparently fail to accept/recognise...:wideyed:

Cream, lactose free milk, unsweetened soya and nut milks are all good alternatives for your coffee. Definitely check the nutritional information to make sure that there's no added sugar, as often this is added. I use cream, or unsweetened Alpro almond milk for my decaf.

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

Dave4jackie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Unsweetened Soya milk is really very low carb,the one I use is 1.0g of carbohydrate per 250ml.Just make sure it is unsweetened.Single cream is also great in coffee as it has virtually none of the sugars you will find in milk eg lactose.So both are good for low carbing.
I personally have had success low carbing as your doctor suggests.
I still find it remarkable that dieticians promote the NHS healthy plate which encourages starchy carbohydrate with every meal.Fine for everyone else but not for us diabetics who cannot process carbs or the glucose they produce.
According to my meter bread,rice,pasta and potato really don't help my BG levels.Ask your dietician about that and see what they have to say.
Thank you for the advice. I will ask I only saw dietician because doctor sent me to her. I personally think their a waste of time for diabetics. But I asked because the doctor denied telling me to stop carbs when she asked him.