Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Patch said:
WhitbyJet said:
Or a bacon wrapped meatloaf with cheese and herb filling?

What are you doing to me?!? D'you know what I've got for supper tonight??? Chicken or Tomato SOUP! From a packet. A GODDAMN PACKET!!!

Not a pork product in sight... :cry:

I thought it was a shake for tonight's supper?

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Shake/Soup... Same same, but different. It all comes out of an Optislim packet...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Patch said:
Shake/Soup... Same same, but different. It all comes out of an Optislim packet...

That's reassuring to know, I didn't like to think you were slipping already!

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You know me Nige - I love a bit of controversy! :wink:

Can you imagine if this really works, and I DO get rid of a lot of that fat around my organs - kick starting then back to normal functionality? Probably too good to be true.

But we'll soon know - as long as my will power holds out... 8)

RussG

[coughs] back on topic please gentlemen.

Tomato sauces always benefit from a bit of sweetening as well as long cooking, IMO. I do often put sugar in, as the amount spread amongst the portions is tiny.

Mince plus tomato sauce plus whatever veg you like can't be wrong...

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
Instead of sugar, I put a couple of squares of dark chocolate or a teaspoon of cocoa powder in my meat & tomato sauces. It takes off the acidity and adds a bit of richness. It also improves the colour.

TPO

Thanks for all the replies. I made THEE worst Bolognase sauce last night - runny and tasteless. GO ME!!!

WhitbyJet said:
Or a bacon wrapped meatloaf with cheese and herb filling?

Oh wow. Thats sounds special. You dont happen to have a recipe do you?

Also, how do people make their chilli? I presume kidney beans are out?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I do leave out kidney beans - but launch in a WHOLE load of other veg. Anything I've got at hand:

Mushrooms
Peppers (Red & Green)
Brocolli (Lovely in a chilli! Chop it small.)
Cauli (Chop it small).
Fine String Beans
Onions (chopped fine, and some bigger pieces)

Also - DON'T use a packet, or a jar of sauce (far too much sugar). Make your own by mixing some beef stock with chilli powder, garlic and tomatoe puree. Add this to the mince once browned and bring to the boil. Then add a tin of chopped toms and simmer for around 20 mins.

WhitbyJet

Marymeg I hope you enjoy the recipe, its one of our favourites.

Here is another one you might like to try, mince is so versatile.

MinceSteak with curry dip and salsa salad

500g mince, 100g gouda or other cheese of your choice cut into small cubes, 1 small onion, finely chopped, salt, pepper, nutmeg, 1 spoon mustard, 150ml cream, 1 egg, 1 egg yolk, minced garlic

Curry Dip
1 carton creme fraiche or soured cream, 1 spring onion, finely sliced, curry powder, salt and pepper

Salsa salad
1 cucumber, 5 small tomatoes, 1 small onion, chopped, salt, pepper, lemonjuice, olive oil

Dice cucumber and tomatoes add onion, lemon juice, salt, peper and olive oil, leave aside for flavours to mingle.

Prepare the steak, mix all ingredients together, season well, shape into 2 or 3 steaks, fry on both sides, medium heat.

Mix creme fraiche/soured cream with spring onion, season with salt, pepper and curry powder.

Serve steak with curry dip and salsa.

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I am going to try the meatloaf recipe tomorrow - sounds delicious. Did I really see someone had put chocolate in their bolognese?? Really? Can you taste it?

Grazer

THE ONLY THINGS YOU NEED with mince is chillis. Loads of 'em. Then eat it with whatever you want, doesn't make any difference. All you can taste is the chillis.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
having Italian conections in my family I would be disowned if I put chocolate in a meat sauce! - I do put it in chilli's though - half a square of 90% - Mexican food uses chocolate a lot to enhance their dishes - it rounds off the flavour and brings out the chilli's - you can't "taste" the chocolate but you can taste the difference - give it a try - but only add it at the very end and just stir it in before serving

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I throw a good glug of red wine into bol or chilli sauce it brings out the flavours
CAROL

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I drink wine as well :lol:
CAROL

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi WhitbyJet, many thanks for the recipe for Meatloaf with Herbed Cheese Filling, I shall try that soon, Deb