Mince Suggestions / Cheese Question

TPO

My friend who is a butcher has just given me 4kg of mince so can anyone give me any low carb recipes to help go through it?

Also, the Atkin's diet says no more that 4oz of cheese. How strict is that? And does it apply to all cheese or just hard cheese? Is cream cheese different at all?

jahusba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having to cut carbs
Lots of things you can do with mince, I eat loads! Home made burgers, meatballs, lasagne (with aubergine and courgette slices instead of pasta), shepherds pie with cauli mash...

Jane

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Regarding Atkins, cream cheese contains more carbs than chedder so go easy. Many people say that cheese stalls the weight loss so use judgement, Deb x

TPO

Thanks for the reply guys, much appreciated.

Is home made bolagnase sauce OK for a low carb diet?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Home-made bolognese sauce is fine, as long as you don't put sugar in it :shock: :wink:

As for hard cheese - for some reason American cheese seems to have more carbs than UK cheese, 'cos my packets of cheddar say 'carbs - trace', or something similar, while Atkins quotes a higher figure.

As long as you're not eating pounds at a time, I wouldn't worry too much. I don't eat cheese every day, but when I do I probably eat more than 4oz in a day.

How are you getting on?

Viv 8)

TPO

Id just put mince, onion, chopped tomatoes and thats about it? I feel like Im missing something out :-s Do people put sugar in their bolognase?

Im getting on alright. Its been 6 days so far and Im starting to get used to it - it was hard to start with but Im getting into the swing. Breakfast is the hard part for me - I tried sausages and bacon but I cant stomach them at that time in the morning. I dont like eggs. I have had crustless quiche the last few mornings but had to force it down. I might have sugarfree jelly tomorrow :p

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Some people put a little sugar into almost all those tomato-y things - it's said to neutralise some of the acid and enhance the flavour. That's why we have to be so careful about ready-made sauces.

Shame about the breakfasts - have you tried the live yoghurt with a few berries? You can sweeten with granulated Splenda or similar, if it's too sharp for you. Or try cold meats and cheese, like they do in some parts of Europe.

Viv 8)

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Garlic goes in my bolognaise along with oregano, marjoram and perhaps a splash of gluten free Worcestershire sauce.

ClaireG 06

I'm making a cross between lasagne and stuffed marrow for tonight. I cut the marrow into about 2inch slices and scoop out the middle, i then lightly steam them and place in a large dish. Then fry off garlic, mushrooms, onions, mince, tinned tomatoes, a little tomato puree, worcester sauce and mixed herbs. I put this into the holes in the marrow slices. I then cover the lot with ricotta cheese mixed with greek yogurt and sprinkle grated chedder over the top and cook in the oven at 180c for about 20-30 mins until the top goes a bit brown and is bubbling.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A low-carb chili con carne would be nice, alternatively you get beat homemade burgers! :)

Nigel

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
TPO said:
Breakfast is the hard part for me - I tried sausages and bacon but I cant stomach them at that time in the morning. I dont like eggs. I have had crustless quiche the last few mornings but had to force it down. I might have sugarfree jelly tomorrow :p

If you arent taking a statin then half a grapefruit is a pretty good way to start the day and at around 4g to 7g of carbs it is pretty low too :D

Mince = Burgers with cheese, bacon, garlic, herbs, chilli or even on their own are delicious add a mushroom bun and a salad and you have a great low carb meal.

mushroom%20bun.jpg

Chips are optional of course :wink: A small plate helps too.

Meatballs, not a fan personally.
Meatloaf, I eat a Mexican meatloaf roughly once a week, very nice, like a mince sandwich with cheese in the middle.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have homemade bolognese or chilli-without pasta..but just homegrown, steamed asparagus, leeks, mangetout, sugarsnaps etc with it.....Personally find that unless we have company who tend to expect pasta with bolgnese, that I will never go for pasta or potatos etc with mince.....alywas put in worcester sauce, peppers, chillis, onion and garlic and tomatoes.....and just love it...actually I could eat it every day but limit the red meat to 2 times a week....I think our brains get used to thinking of bolognese, chillis etc with pasta becuase this is what the mass of supermarkets display and recipes.....but definitely some fantastic choices that others make listed above.....

Grazer

All the cheese products I look at have very few carbs, and remeber that the fat content of cheese effectively lowers the GI content of everything else in the meal. I eat loads of cheddar with no bad results at all
Malc

ClaireG 06

marymeg7 said:
Hello Claire,
I like the sound of your cross between lasagne and stuffed marrow and have printed out the recipe to do probably next week when I have bought the ricotta cheese and marrow.

Mary

Hope you like it :) It's something we have quite often as all the family will eat it.

Grazer

Cheese again. Just looked at my sainsbury's cheddar. It says 0.1 g per 100. Can't get much lower.
Malc

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
WhitbyJet said:
Or a bacon wrapped meatloaf with cheese and herb filling?

What are you doing to me?!? D'you know what I've got for supper tonight??? Chicken or Tomato SOUP! From a packet. A GODDAMN PACKET!!!

Not a pork product in sight... :cry: