Mineral deficiency management on low carb

Rosalie_900

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been low carbing for nearly a year; roughly 20 - 40 g carbs per day. Some days I'm fine but periodically I become very tired and lethargic and just want to collapse and sleep. I think this is due to low sodium. When I realise it I take some bouillon which contains salt and I am fine in 20-30 minutes.

I have two main problems: one is that I have to be careful not to take too much salt as my blood pressure seems very salt sensitive. It is very labile and can swing from low to high quite rapidly.

The other thing is that I would like to prevent these lethargic episodes from happening in the first place. It can interfere with other stuff, and I am also concerned that if I am slow to realise I need more salt it may not be good for my body generally.

I am thinking of upping my carb intake a little to maybe 60g per day to try to avoid these problems. Does anyone have any other suggestions about how to manage this?

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As you can't seem to safely increase salt intake then I think upping your carbs a little might be the only option. I'd certainly give it a go & see how it impacts your blood glucose - as you are pre-diabetic you possibly have a bit more leeway :)

Reactions: Rosalie_900

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I add minute amounts of salt to my coffee - as I have a set amount each day it seems the ideal way to provide that small amount consistently.
Atkins is a very good guide for anyone wishing to fine tune carb intake. I use New Diet Revolution, the 2002 edition, and the progression of adding in various foods - and drink too, and in what amounts is all laid out.
I can eat up to 60 gm a day as a maximum, but often eat less, but I stick to low carb foods, as laid out in the ongoing weight loss section

Rosalie_900

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As you can't seem to safely increase salt intake then I think upping your carbs a little might be the only option. I'd certainly give it a go & see how it impacts your blood glucose - as you are pre-diabetic you possibly have a bit more leeway :)

Thanks Safi.

Rosalie_900

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I add minute amounts of salt to my coffee - as I have a set amount each day it seems the ideal way to provide that small amount consistently.
Atkins is a very good guide for anyone wishing to fine tune carb intake. I use New Diet Revolution, the 2002 edition, and the progression of adding in various foods - and drink too, and in what amounts is all laid out.
I can eat up to 60 gm a day as a maximum, but often eat less, but I stick to low carb foods, as laid out in the ongoing weight loss section

Thanks, I'll take a look at "the New Diet Revolution".