Missed nighttime Lantus dose

El_em

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I missed my lantus dose last night at 10pm, wasn’t sure what to do and my diabetic nurse is on holiday - another nurse told me to take half my dose now and then my normal dose again tonight as usual.

This strikes me as potentially dangerous - surely I think have 1.5x the dose in my system overnight? Has this happened to anyone else? Could I just use regular doses of my mealtime insulin (novorapid) to control my sugars until tonight instead?

thanks

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I missed my lantus dose last night at 10pm, wasn’t sure what to do and my diabetic nurse is on holiday - another nurse told me to take half my dose now and then my normal dose again tonight as usual.

This strikes me as potentially dangerous - surely I think have 1.5x the dose in my system overnight? Has this happened to anyone else? Could I just use regular doses of my mealtime insulin (novorapid) to control my sugars until tonight instead?

thanks

Hi @El_em .

What the other nurse advised.

Sounds about right.. You're aprox 12 hours late with your lantus.? (10am now.)
I take lantus, if I wake up around six hour later & realise? I would take 3/4 the amount..

Just keep a close eye on the BGs during the day.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi

thanks

Will agree with @Jaylee on this. Go with what the nurse has told you. With no background insulin in your system you will run high all day and will be, more than likely, giving yourself a fair few jabs for corrections

Reactions: Jaylee

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’ve done it and taken half the amount just make sure you take bs regularly as sugars can be a bit erratic , I set alarm on my phone now to remind me , I’m on Levimir now so have to split them am and pm

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok thank you everyone!

I appreciate your logic & concern regarding stacking the basal come evening?

Just keep a closer eye than usual on the BGs. Having basal on board hopefully, should make it less of a roller coaster than your original proposition just using novorapid.?