Missing injection

djry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone can anyone let me know if it's ok to do a injection later at night Ive missed my insulin injection at tea time as i forgot to do it I normally have 7ml will it be ok if I do that with a snack??

sysrev

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not much
What sort of insulins do you take? If it is a fast acting dose which you missed I would "shoot up" with your 7 ml normal dose after testing your blood (which should show high count). If not as expected, wait till next normal time to take insulin and adjust to compensate if high (if you self medicate). Otherwise do nothing - blood will stabilise itself over time (day or so..). Important thing is not to worry!

djry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on novorapid injections for food times just done my bs levels and there 5.8 at the minute

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi everyone can anyone let me know if it's ok to do a injection later at night Ive missed my insulin injection at tea time as i forgot to do it I normally have 7ml will it be ok if I do that with a snack??
@djry I wouldn't take your insulin too late and with less food.
If you have a hypo through the night it can be very very dangerous.
It is easier to correct if high bgs. Type 2s shouldn't have catastrophic highs if mostly good insulin control on the whole.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

@djry This thread is in Type 1. Can you confirm that you're a Type 2 on insulin, please?

Do you count carbs or do you have set doses of insulin for your meals?

djry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@azure imm type 1 I don't know how to change my settings on here I was type to on tablets but have put me on insulin about 4 weeks ago now. I don't know what car counting is yet my nurse is putting me on a course soon I've not seen her for a few weeks. I have set doses for meals I have 16 units of lantus in the morning then 3 units at dinner then 7 at tea time

Reactions: 3 people

djry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@azure imm type 1 I don't know how to change my settings on here I was type to on tablets but have put me on insulin about 4 weeks ago now. I don't know what car counting is yet my nurse is putting me on a course soon I've not seen her for a few weeks. I have set doses for meals I have 16 units of lantus in the morning then 3 units at dinner then 7 at tea time
Of novorapid

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Being put on insulin doesn't change what type of diabetes you have, it just changes how you are treating it. You can be a type two on insulin, unless your doctors are suggesting you were misdiagnosed as type 2?

When did you eat tea? What did you have for tea? Have you tested your blood sugar since tea? Have you had any insulin?

Do you ever do correction doses?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry! Too many questions - it's just that's what I'd be asking myself if I was in the same position (although hopefully I'd remember what I had for tea etc)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Thanks for answering :) It does make a difference to the kind of advice you'll get so it's important to get your type right. It also helps other members who might be in a similar position to you :)

Did you diabetes team suggest you'd been misdiagnosed and were actually Type 1 not Type 2?

To answer your question, what I'd do if I missed a meal time injection would be to see what my blood sugar was doing. But I adjust my insulin and am confident doing so. It's different for you as you've only been on insulin a short time.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I agree with others... being placed on insulin doesn't mean you've changed to type 1. When I was placed on insulin though it was because they had run the GAD test and the c-peptide test again on me and the GAD test returned negative for antibodies which means I don't have auto-immune disease (type 1 or type 1.5). But the c-peptide test result showed I hardly produce any insulin, as a result my endocrinologist advised I was still type 2, but I now needed to treat my diabetes with insulin because I had insulin deficiency.

In answer to missing the bolus injections with food, my endocrinologist advised me if I take it within half an hour of eating I should be ok... but he preferred 15 mins to be safer. So I would imagine taking it much later would be dangerous for you.

I wish you the best. :)