Modern food production.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
We all know that that drug companies and chemical companies are now a major part of our food processing and consumption.
I find it all very disturbing.
I've just eaten ham and bacon soup.
The meat is fresh and local and was smiling over the fence till recently.
No big companies involved.
The village butcher is also a local farmer and only sells meat that is produced locally by his friend and neighbours.
How fortunate am I?
This kind of setup is now very rare.
Have a look at the short video about what pig meat could have been going into my soup and likely is going into yours ......

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
In the U.K huge fields are dug out.
All the soil removed and piled up.
Pigpens are built to house hundreds of animals.
The soil is then put back on top.
So the ̶f̶a̶r̶m̶e̶r̶ company now has a two tier field.
The one with animals below never sees sunlight.
The one on top can grow feed for the pigs below or food for you or graze other animals.
It's disturbing.

S

serenity648

The one on top can grow feed for the pigs below or food for you or graze other animals.
It's disturbing.
have you got a link to that please?

Hotpepper20000

While I find this very disturbing there is a harsh reality. We have a growing population and inexpensive food is needed to feed everyone.
In my idea of a perfect world we could all afford to feed our families with free range organic food from the farmer next door.
But in reality most of the worlds population lives in high density cities.
They don't have the luxury of picking where their food comes from. If they are lucky they don't have to travel too far to find a grocery store to buy something to feed their families that they can afford.
I do think if we can that we should certainly make wise choices as to where our food comes from. But not everyone has that luxury.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are concerned about pig farming but have to buy at a supermarket this guide is useful particularly the explanation of the various types of certification.
EDIT: Note this file will download if you click on it.

Attachments

• uk-supermarket-policies-pigs.pdf
    172 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
If you are concerned about pig farming but have to buy at a supermarket this guide is useful particularly the explanation of the various types of certification.
It would have been polites to warn that clicking on the link would mean an automatic download.
That was very bad practice.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
have you got a link to that please?
Well I'm feeling rather foolish now as I can't for the life of me!
I saw one of these things from a distance in Kent and again one in Yorkshire and each time a local farmer was explaining to me what the chimney looking things were .... vents.
This was over twenty years ago so maybe it was stopped.
I'll try again tomorrow.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would have been polites to warn that clicking on the link would mean an automatic download.
That was very bad practice.
I suppose that must be be because it is a .pdf
Sorry for any inconvenience but it is a very small file.

S

serenity648

Well I'm feeling rather foolish now as I can't for the life of me!
I saw one of these things from a distance in Kent and again one in Yorkshire and each time a local farmer was explaining to me what the chimney looking things were .... vents.
This was over twenty years ago so maybe it was stopped.
I'll try again tomorrow.
my family and my husbands family are the product of generations of farmers. I live, and have lived, surrounded by farmers. I and my husband have never heard of such a practice. I suggest you google how stressed animals product meat which cannot be used for human consumption.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I suppose that must be be because it is a .pdf
Sorry for any inconvenience but it is a very small file.
It's not the size that bothers me.
I can usually read PDF's without downloading them.
Anyway I'll know for next time.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
It's disturbing.

I live in an area in Yorkshire where there is a lot of pig farming and I know several of the farmers quite well socially and I've never heard of this. Where is it happening? I know some other countries have different farming standards to our own (for instance I wouldn't eat Danish pork products) but keeping them underground is disgraceful.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not the size that bothers me.
I can usually read PDF's without downloading them.
Anyway I'll know for next time.
I think this is browser dependent, which is why it didn't happen to me. I use Firefox and there is an option to automatically download pdf's or view them. Other browsers probably have something similar.

S

serenity648

I live in an area in Yorkshire where there is a lot of pig farming and I know several of the farmers quite well socially and I've never heard of this. Where is it happening? I know some other countries have different farming standards to our own (for instance I wouldn't eat Danish pork products) but keeping them underground is disgraceful.
I suspect an urban myth.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I think this is browser dependent, which is why it didn't happen to me. I use Firefox and there is an option to automatically download pdf's or view them. Other browsers probably have something similar.
Not to worry Mister Pot.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I used Firefox for many years but got a new pc six months ago and simply haven't gotten round to setting things up the way I like them.
I usually have a partitioned drive half Windows half Linux but haven't gotten round to that either yet!
So at the moment I'm on Chrome and I have to say I normally click on a PDF file and read it but for some reason this one automatically downloaded without asking without warning.
I don't think it's Misters Pots fault but I'm security conscious so I'll have to do a quick check how that got through so easily.
I'm not a fan of Windows ten at all.
I feel it's more designed as a corporate tool not a people friendly tool.
We'll be getting charged for everything on it soon.