Modern Portion sizes

chocoholic

My mother confessed yesterday that she is concerned about how LITTLE I eat these days. Yes, I eat less than I used to but I honestly can't eat as much as I used to. I think I savour food more than I did previously but I don't seem as hungry as I once did. Portion control is so important.I look at some people waddling down the street munching pasties and the like and want to scream at them to get a grip and give their bodies a break but I don't relish the thought of being punched on the nose, so refrain from doing so. You can't always tell,anyway, which people are fat through scoffing Desperate Dan size portions or which people have a genuine medical condition - like thyroid problems - that aid weight gain.

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
I read an article a while back about why MacDonald's burgers moorish to a lot of people - it is the corn syrup, it is addictive. Not only is there cornsyrup in the burger bun but also in the burger, the mayonaise and the sauces. Not only is it addictive it must raise blood glucose enormously so definitely not for people with diabetes. I don't eat beefburgers (for IBS reasons) so don't know what one would do to my bg levels.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
'Eat less and exercise more = weight loss' is a much used mantra used by personal trainers, dieticians and the like. It seems so easy and yet almost everyone ignores it.

The food I used to eat in one day prior to my diabetes would have fed most people of my fathers generation for a week, you only have to look at news footage of 40, 50 60 years ago to realise that there were far fewer overweight people in the world then. We as a nation eat way to much food.

Eating less may be the way to a healthy long life for everyone, not just diabetics, but today it is so hard to do with restaurants offering huge portions and special deals on a full 3 course meal or all you can eat carveries often offered.
Supermarkets have also added to our overeating by their huge range of tempting foods. Before being diagnosed I was in a Morrisons store and fancied a scotch egg for my lunch, unfortunately they only sold scotch eggs in packs of 4 even though they were made on the premisses, they would not sell me just one egg, I didn't buy the 4 pack as I knew I would throw 3 away and It just seemed like such a waste of food. In reality of course I would have eaten 2 or 3 and thrown the 4th.

So are buy one get one free ads and large pre packed packets of food part of the problem or do they just capitalise on the fact that we are pre programmed to eat as much as we can in times of plenty, a sort of genetic thing?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Ssid
don't you have a freezer?
Buy one freeze, one for another day is quite useful