1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Mody/ Genetic Diabetes?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Poks15, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Poks15

Poks15 MODY · Member

Hi does anyone have Mody or Genetic Type 2 diabeties so struggling with my blood levels i know your not meant to test after food but i did an they were 23.5 checked again an hour later down to 18.3 im on highest dose of Gliclazide only thing that seemed to work was Metformin but my consultant said they dont treat my diabeties type with Merformin

Sent from my SM-T550 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

2. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Bumping for you @Poks15

Do you know what form of MODY you have?

• Like Like x 1
  3. desidiabulum

desidiabulum · Well-Known Member

I have MODY. As @azure says, there are different types and they respond slightly differently to medication. But I don't understand the point about metformin at all -- I would have thought the only concern is what gets your BGs down. Gliclazide works very well with some MODY, but not all. Have you adjusted diet and exercise? Testing is only really much of an indication if done before and 2 hours after meals.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Poks15

Poks15 MODY · Member

Hi yes i have HNF1A

• Like Like x 1
  5. desidiabulum

HNF1A is usually very responsive to gliclazide. Were you on insulin before? I still don't understand why you wouldn't be encouraged to continue with metformin as well if you weren't having any ill-effects -- might be worth clarifying

• Like Like x 2
  6. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

• Like Like x 1
  7. Poks15

Poks15 MODY · Member

hi not been on insulin no

8. desidiabulum

Hi @Poks15 -- sorry you haven't been hearing from other MODY people -- we are an elite bunch of course! Are your BG numbers still high? Do you test 2 hours after meals? When do you take your gliclazide? Have you adjusted your diet?

9. Poks15

Poks15 MODY · Member

Hi found out this morning my 9yr old Daughter has the Gene as well my BG numbers still arounf 14 spoke to Diabetic nurse she wasnt to put me on Sitagliptin as well as Gliclazide i take my gliclazide first thing in morning and after evening meals im a very fussy eater when i do have an appitite at monent my appitite isnt very big especially when it comes to the main meal of the day

Sent from my SM-T550 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

10. Rie26

Rie26 MODY · Well-Known Member

Hiya - I know this post is a few months old but just wanted to say I'm mody 1a too. So hard to find others lol :)

11. May883

May883 MODY · Newbie

Hello, i have recently been diagnosed with MODY. High sugars picked up at my booking in appointment with the midwife. Bloods sent off to Exeter and came back with two MODY, HNF1A and Glucoknaise! Currently 31 weeks pregnant and taking insulin to ensure low sugars for baby. How is everyone else managing their MODY? I’m nervous as to how mine will be managed after pregnancy.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook