Monitor just arrived

MrsMoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

My Codefree monitor has just arrived. Im going to read the manual properly before I have a go with it.
I dont know why, but I feel a bit nervous about using it

I ordered extra strips but it didnt occur to me to think about the needles - silly question, but they're single use? Does it matter how I get the drop of blood? Im going to order some tonight as its only come with 10.

MrsM

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't worry MrsMoose; most of us don't change our lancets every time we do a test. Of course, that's not quite as it should be, but it is as it is.

You'll be fine.

When you come to do your test, set the pricker to it's lowest setting, and just place it on your finger; don't press it on. The pricker does all the hard work.

Reactions: 4 people

livinabox

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
being forced to work with 5 other diseases.
thas just answered a question of mine.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You may find you need to practice a few times before you do it for real. I had an Accuchek Mobile until the other week when I changed to the Codefree. It took me several wasted strips before I got the hang of it!

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,

My Codefree monitor has just arrived. Im going to read the manual properly before I have a go with it.
I dont know why, but I feel a bit nervous about using it

I ordered extra strips but it didnt occur to me to think about the needles - silly question, but they're single use? Does it matter how I get the drop of blood? Im going to order some tonight as its only come with 10.

MrsM
did the 6" knife for cutting yourself, to get the cup of blood come with it?

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Picked my monitor up from the doc today with a prescription for 200 of strips & lancets, no diabetic should have to buy their own meter & bits as you should be medical exempt now.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Picked my monitor up from the doc today with a prescription for 200 of strips & lancets, no diabetic should have to buy their own meter & bits as you should be medical exempt now.
Well, yeah, maybe, but the reality is that T2s often have to buy their own, or get a very small supply. Like it is in basically the entire rest of the world outside the UK. So let's "check our privilege", as they say nowadays.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
in Australia, T2 are treated the same as T1 as far as strips go.and we are all encouraged to test as much as we want, there are no restrictions and a copay or free depending on income

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
in Australia, T2 are treated the same as T1 as far as strips go.and we are all encouraged to test as much as we want, there are no restrictions and a copay or free depending on income
That is cool.

Nobody copays in the UK. That is for the rest of the world. We build lego forts out of free meter boxes. I have paved my drive with free strips. I have paved other people's drives with free strips, and charged them for it.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I understand as a T1 you don't have a personal issue with UK rules.
but if you're T2 and can't get strips without having to pay full retail. Isn't it hard to bag copay upto a safety net max PBS annual pay and free or 60p per 100 for pension/low income other T2?
http://www.ndss.com.au/Global/Forms/316424 Diabetes Aust Strips.pdf

http://www.ndss.com.au/About-NDSS/Product-and-Supply/
Yes I would definitely support copay as an improvement on "full pay" for T2s in the UK. And I would also support it being free for any T2s motivated to do it, on cost benefit grounds alone. But I am conscious that the UK is an incredibly priveleged place to be a diabetic (or any health issue).