month since diagnosis

Sjkind

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's been a month since diagnosis, after two/three weeks of tests the diabetes clinic at the hospital have decided I am type one in honeymoon stage, I am 43.
It's been an incredible amount of info to take in, I am currently conquering my fear of needles, with two jabs a day and two metformin a day. I have been told to cut down on carbs, a lot, previous to this all my meals were loaded with carbs, so trying to rethink that.
But I am finding that I am very anxious all the time now, worried that I am going to get it wrong and make myself really ill! I am not usually an anxious person, is this normal??

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
@Sjkind Hi there... I was diagnosed in mid November.. Still waiting to find out if type 1 or 2 but treating as type 1. I completely understand what you are feeling. At first I was scared to eat anything for fear of making things worse.. the things we need to learn seems like a huge mountain to climb... as for needles I find the lancet much more alarming than the pen needle.. it will become second nature to you in time. The best advice I can offer is to follow the advice from your nurse... and as you'll see this forum is great for seeking info should you need it.

Reactions: Freema

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All the times I was eating low carb following Atkins I did really well - lost weight when I wanted to, had loads of energy and no health problems. I was constantly told not to low carb, but I felt so dismal, no energy, did not enjoy life at all. My meals on low carb are tasty and enjoyable, lots of fresh salads and vegetables with lots of different meats, fish, eggs, cheeses - coffee with cream, plus a few fruits which are not high sugar but you will have to be aware that it could lower your blood glucose significantly. My level at diagnosis was 17.1 and now I don't go over 8 at all as long as I stick to the plan. If I eat even small amounts of dense carb foods my levels go high again, not just a spike but into the next day, so I have abandoned bread, rice, potatoes, pasta and all flour or sucrose containing products

Reactions: KezG

Sjkind

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was quite scary my abrupt introduction to diabetes, I just woke up one Sunday morning with greatly reduced vision by at least 50% after having perfect vision when I went to bed! Diagnosed within 24 hrs.
I think a low carb plan will be for me, I just need to do lots of homework I think, I really want to get on top of this, I want to manage IT, not IT manage me! I am scared of the future but this forum is very informative and inspirational, thank you for your replies x

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All the times I was eating low carb following Atkins I did really well - lost weight when I wanted to, had loads of energy and no health problems. I was constantly told not to low carb, but I felt so dismal, no energy, did not enjoy life at all. My meals on low carb are tasty and enjoyable, lots of fresh salads and vegetables with lots of different meats, fish, eggs, cheeses - coffee with cream, plus a few fruits which are not high sugar but you will have to be aware that it could lower your blood glucose significantly. My level at diagnosis was 17.1 and now I don't go over 8 at all as long as I stick to the plan. If I eat even small amounts of dense carb foods my levels go high again, not just a spike but into the next day, so I have abandoned bread, rice, potatoes, pasta and all flour or sucrose containing products

type 1 diabetes can be much more acutely dangerous if one can´t find ones balance in insuline injections, it can´t really be compared to type 2 diabetes when we are not yet using insuline

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
absolutely - eating low carb is just not on the radar as far as most medics are concerned.

Jimmyc1978

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago and again they are treating as type1 until further notice. I HAVE GOT MY HEAD AROUND INSULIN BUT FIND THE LANCETS THE WORST PART TO THE DEGREE I HAVE PURCHASED THE FREESTYLE LIBRE. I HAVE BEEN WEARING IT NOW FOR THE LAST 4 DAYS AND THE RESULTS ARE OUT BY 1-2 MMOLS ON EACH SCAN BUT IT DOES GIVE ME A CLEAR PATTERN ON SPIKES AND LOWS WHICH HELPS ALOT AT THESE EARLY STAGES.

Reactions: col101