More help needed.

mouseee

It took a good 6 weeks or more for my eyes to settle. I couldn't read anything and ended up listening to audio books on my holidays rather than reading.

Automon

If you are still eating bread and seeing those numbers - even with the tablets, then you might well find that the medication was not really needed, just an alteration in diet would have done the job. Diabetes is not necessarily a progressive illness - but the advice on diet is just abysmally wrong for many people and dooms them to uncontrolled levels of blood glucose and the consequences of that.
Thanks Resurgam
When I say I am eating bread it is brown bread I don't know if that is better also approx. 2 slices in morning and one at lunchtime just to fill the gap but if this not helping then I will do without and hopefully find something else. I am just getting used with what I can and cannot have and checking BS 2 hours after each meal thanks for your input it is greatly appreciated.

Automon

It took a good 6 weeks or more for my eyes to settle. I couldn't read anything and ended up listening to audio books on my holidays rather than reading.
Good to hear your sight settled and it is reassuring that it was not permanent It was 14/2/20 that the medication started so it will be a while yet before my eyes settle down and hopefully regain their readings, I live with hope but it is encouraging when I see many people with this condition and have regained their sight. Many thanks for the input it is very welcome.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you checked just how many grams of carbs that is for three slices?
I don't understand what you mean by filling the gap - by eating starches you are not going to help your metabolism to recover, and there is no difference between the starch in brown and white bread, it is all the same stuff.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Resurgam
When I say I am eating bread it is brown bread I don't know if that is better also approx. 2 slices in morning and one at lunchtime just to fill the gap but if this not helping then I will do without and hopefully find something else. I am just getting used with what I can and cannot have and checking BS 2 hours after each meal thanks for your input it is greatly appreciated.
Bread, regardless of type, can vary from between 3.5 to 22 gram carbs per slice. I have found 3 that I like which are Hovis Pumpkin and Sunflower Seed, Hovis Low Carb and TESCO High Protein, that average 10g per slice which do not spike my BS. A number of Forum members have Lo Live (?) bread which is 3.5g per slice. We all react differently to carbs so the only way to see how it affects you is to test - when I try new foods I tend to test at the 1, 2 and 3 hour point so that I can identify which way my BS is going ie up or down thus enabling me to find out what I can or cannot eat.

Automon

Bread, regardless of type, can vary from between 3.5 to 22 gram carbs per slice. I have found 3 that I like which are Hovis Pumpkin and Sunflower Seed, Hovis Low Carb and TESCO High Protein, that average 10g per slice which do not spike my BS. A number of Forum members have Lo Live (?) bread which is 3.5g per slice. We all react differently to carbs so the only way to see how it affects you is to test - when I try new foods I tend to test at the 1, 2 and 3 hour point so that I can identify which way my BS is going ie up or down thus enabling me to find out what I can or cannot eat.
Thanks for the info
That is what I am doing now and I am getting a good idea on what foods raise my BS and it is having the desired results, having spoken to the Dr, this morning he is very pleased with the results so far and the regime I am sticking to I will be going for blood tests next month and hopefully the levels will have dropped from the 163 the last time.

Automon

Have you checked just how many grams of carbs that is for three slices?
I don't understand what you mean by filling the gap - by eating starches you are not going to help your metabolism to recover, and there is no difference between the starch in brown and white bread, it is all the same stuff.
Hi
When I say filling the gap it is just to take the hunger pang away as for over 20 years I only have one full meal per day and since this illness I have been having 3 slices of brown bread with a topping of paste, on checking my BS is has a small effect but not extreme levels sometimes 7.5 to 8 but then drops down later after my main meal until a resting score on average 5.2 so it doesn't seem too bad. Having spoken with the doc he said not to give up carbs altogether and do it gradually to let my body get used to the drop in sugar levels and once he conducts the next full blood tests in April they will look at it again and plan further action then. He stressed to keep on checking BS the way I have been and said cutting down on carbs is the best way forward until further tests are completed.