1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

More medication

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by Jillyfl, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Jillyfl

Jillyfl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Gosh, you still feel tired?? I must say if feel really really well. I wonder why you still feel tired. I don’t know enough about all this to help you.....

2. Lally123

Lally123 LADA · Well-Known Member

Hi, I agree with others who say you may need to be tested for other types of diabetes. I was diagnosed with T2 a couple of years ago (can't believe how quickly the time has gone) and I did do keto but found it made my blood sugars way too erratic. Sometimes they would be up in the 20s with very few carbs. Ironically eating a bit more in the way of carbs stabilised them a bit but I was still running high. That coupled with a 13kg weight loss (I was 60 kg to start) encouraged my gp to send me for tests and consultant opinion. I was then rediagnosed with LADA about a year ago. Positive antibodies and low insulin levels. I do take meds but couple gliclazide with a lowish carb (100g or so) a day. Over the last few weeks I have noticed things becoming more erratic again but determined to manage with glic until I run out of road! Your story sounds similar to mine, I would definitely get myself checked out if I were you. Your weight loss and inability to get your sugars down sounds like more than insulin resistance.

3. Jillyfl

I have been diagnosed with heart failure but they tested me for all sorts until I found out, and diabetes was one of them....

4. Jillyfl

No not heard of her. I need to get more information. More research needed I think. Thank you

5. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

To quote Jenny Ruhl again, in "Your Diabetes Questions Answered" she recounts how she felt like a wet rag after some time on a keto diet, only to revive as soon as she began taking some mealtime insulin. I'm glad you are feeling well. At least you are getting some immediate reward for your sterling efforts.

6. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

@Alexandra100 ,

Please refamiliarise yourself with the forum eithos rules, before a decision to comment on any topic...
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/community-ethos-forum-rules.50278/

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alexandra100

I highly recommend her books. "Your Diabetes Questions Answered" is thinner and an easier read, "Diabetes 101" thicker and more technical.
    https://www.bloodsugar101.com/jenny-ruhl-s-books
    You might be able to get one of them out of the library. I did. There are very few people writing on diabetes who have the condition themselves. Both JR and Dr Bernstein have survived into healthy old age with diabetes, which is in itself encouraging. Dr B's book "Diabetes Solution" is my other recommendation. It is a classic, very thick and perhaps a bit much for someone new to the problem. You can get a good idea of it from his website where you can read quite a lot of chapters from it. http://www.diabetes-book.com

8. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Skinny as a rake but attempting to buff up with free weights :D

Daily net carb intake is probably not far off 10g but I don’t count any macros. The only real carbs I get are from green overground vegetables. Protein I tend to be mindful of limiting to around 20-30g per meal but again I don’t count as such and don’t have a hard limit that I won’t go over.

Working for me so far. Dawn phenomenon is now nonexistent so I’m confident that my metabolic health is returning. I’ll never ever start eating carbs again though :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Jim Lahey

No. Evening time is usually my lowest and often ~4.5. Most times of the day I’ll be maximum 5.5 pre or post. I do get “protein creep” where my baseline can be high-five if I’ve been eating a lot of meat, but this is usually 24+ hours after the fact. Regardless, I can’t recall the last time I saw anything higher than 6.0 at any time of day or night :)

10. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Perhaps a c-peptide test and full antibody panel....make sure your diagnosis is right or incorrect, would be a good step.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Alexandra100

12. Jim Lahey

It took about 6-8 months living primal-ketosis. Depending on severity, this fixing diabetes malarkey is not an overnight endeavour :)

#32 Jim Lahey, Jan 13, 2019 at 6:00 AM
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  13. Alexandra100

Please, what is primal-ketosis? Is it different from the way you are eating now? And what is an oversight endeavour?

14. Jim Lahey

Ha! Typo. Overnight.

Primal just means real whole foods. Nothing processed . No sugars no grains. I’m sticking with it for life because I love it and it makes me healthy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Jillyfl

Well everyone, I just got the results of my HBA1C that I requested 3 months after diagnosis, and it was 41 !!! Yipeeee

The doctors never said anything about medication either way, or any follow up appointment. The receptionist gave me the result when I rang.

• Winner Winner x 5
  16. Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Amazing result in response to your hard work, well done.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook